Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ferritin (iron) levels blood test result

(6 Posts)
YourHandInMyHand Fri 24-Feb-17 14:31:20

Had some blood tests done as I'm exhausted all the time. Had letter from GP asking I go in to discuss, get there and gp I saw says "I'm not sure why the other doctor asked you come in, your ferritin levels are at 30 which is in the normal range - at the low end but nothing serious"

My white blood count was up too and as I've been struggling with the lurgy on throat and chest this made sense and I now have some anti-biotics to try and clear it.

Anyway, the appointment felt rushed. Does anyone else know if my iron level is okay at 30? It seemed like a disagreement of opinion between the two doctors as to wether it was note worthy and I'm not sure what is a normal level.

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 24-Feb-17 14:41:30

Borderline is 16-40
Normal is 41-400
So yes, you would likely benefit from supplementation.
Can you get an appointment or ask for a call back from the other doctor who asked you come in?

YourHandInMyHand Fri 24-Feb-17 14:53:01

Ah right! I'm glad I asked now.

I might ring reception on Monday then and ask which GP it was that asked that I go in, I was anaemic whilst pregnant and felt really exhausted and drained like I do now. Will see if I can get an appointment with the other gp.

Is the iron supplement a gp can prescribe stronger / better than something over the counter? I pay for my prescriptions so if it's something I can just go and buy I will do that.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 24-Feb-17 15:01:09

I was a 9 before I was given any treatment. It is important to get it sorted as it is the ferritin that ensures the production of HG, so it is important to fix even if it isn't dangerously low yet.

Spatone is probably the best thing to take as that is absorbed more easily by the body.

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

MichaelSheensNextDW Fri 24-Feb-17 17:51:09

The 'nicest' prescription-grade treatment is ferrous fumarate 210mg, 1-3 tablets a day. I get mine from Amazon but all pharmacies sell them over the counter without prescription. You'd expect to take them for about 3 months consistently to achieve a good rise in your numbers. Ferrous sulphate is the horrible one that usually causes all sorts of digestive upsets, the fumarate version is pretty much unnoticeable.

It's worth doing this under medical supervision though as obviously the aim of this supplement is to build up stores within the body and you don't want to build up too much.

fenneltea Tue 28-Feb-17 18:36:33

I've been on ferrous fumarate since October, my ferritin level was 4. The fumarate did affect my stomach though, in the end I could only tolerate one tablet a day, which I stopped taking a few weeks ago as I couldn't do with the side effects.

I've got a blood test in a couple of weeks to see how my levels are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now