Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Meal plan for 10 a day?

(8 Posts)
Obsessedalready Thu 23-Feb-17 19:57:37

I feel like I just got the hang of 5 a day!

So what do you eat if you manage 10 portions of fruit and veg a day?

MollyHuaCha Thu 23-Feb-17 21:00:26

Here's an idea that's quite do-able:

Breakfast
Cut up an orange and a kiwi and add a few blueberries. Serve with yoghurt
Have your usual eggs or toast or cereal too if you like.

Mid-morning
Some carrot sticks and cheese cubes

Lunch
Tuna salad with lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, yellow peppers, gherkins, mustard and cress
Banana

Mid- afternoon
Tea and biscuit

Early evening
Glass of wine and a few olives

Dinner
Baked fish with steamed broccoli, asparagus, new potatoes followed by whatever pudding you fancy

Obsessedalready Thu 23-Feb-17 21:39:11

Sounds likea lovely day's food!

Good idea! I never thought of having fruit salad for breakfast with yoghurt!

Do you not find the salad stuff required for several 'portions' enormous?

BlackInk Fri 24-Feb-17 09:46:24

That sounds reasonable in theory, but I don't think it hits the 10 a day recommendations unless you're talking HUGE portions. To get to 10 it would have to be:

Breakfast - a whole large orange, 2 kiwis fruits, 3 tablespoons of blueberries (as well as yoghurt or whatever) = 3 PORTIONS

Snack - 2 whole carrots = 1 PORTION

Lunch - 9 tablespoons of salad various vegs (say 2 tomato, 2 celery, 3 lettuce, 2 pepper) (as well as tuna etc) = 3 PORTIONS

Dinner - 3 tablespoons of broccoli, 3 tablespoons of asparagus, 3 tablespoons of sweet potato or lentils or something (new potatoes don't count) (as well as fish or whatever) = 3 PORTIONS

That sounds like a ridiculous amount of food to munch your way through in a day - massive meal portions. You'd be eating or preparing food half the day.

I'm a vegetarian and I LOVE vegetables, but I reckon trying to cram 10 a day in would start to take over my life...

MollyHuaCha Fri 24-Feb-17 10:32:46

I think for many people it's going to be aspirational wink

Lovelybangers Fri 24-Feb-17 16:17:52

It is a lot to get in a day.

I love veggies too but I'd be stuffed to the gills if I ate 10portions per day.

BeyondThePage Fri 24-Feb-17 16:28:32

only one or 2 portions should be fruit though - or else all that fruit acid is going to ruin your teeth - then how will you crunch on the celery.

10 portions is just too much - and a bit demoralising when you barely make 5. Some fruit with breakfast, some salad with lunch and some veg with dinner - I don't snack and am not going to start just to get more veg in. All is fine in moderation.

flowersalloverme Fri 24-Feb-17 16:29:49

A multivitamin for all.

This is getting ridiculous now, and is making people fret.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now