Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Borderline results but very tired

(15 Posts)
Yoshimimuddlingthrough Wed 22-Feb-17 07:03:25

Would I be unreasonable to go back to GP?

I had blood tests this week and receptionist called to say the results are borderline and I should get them done again in 3 months.
I've just slept 10 hours and still tired. 3 months seems a long time.

About a year ago I had blood tests for lots of things, I think thyroid, cholesterol, iron etc. Was told results were borderline, retested a month later. And then told I was fine. I started on ADs around then.

Stopped ADs a few months ago. Feeling much better mood wise. But went to GP a couple of weeks ago as so tired and about to start work. Really want some more energy. Also I've had irregular periods - every 16/17 days since Xmas. (Irregular periods were investigated a year ago too - all fine)

Will a GP have other ideas or would I be wasting time going back when they have run tests?

ivykaty44 Wed 22-Feb-17 07:09:22

Ask for the actual figures instead of accepting "boarderline" many GPS will not treat a thyroid which many other will.

Added to the fact depending on where you live in the country will depend on what the boarderline result mean, in my area the figures are 11 - 24 for T4 but in other areas of will be 9 -22 so find out

christinarossetti Wed 22-Feb-17 07:10:37

Did they test for anaemia?

Yoshimimuddlingthrough Wed 22-Feb-17 07:23:53

Yes I was tested for anaemia so I assume I'm not anaemic. I'm guessing it's the thyroid test that was borderline as it was last year. I asked which result/s were being referred to as borderline but receptionist couldn't tell me, which I understand - she can only relay GP's message. So it's a guess.

ivykaty is it common to ask for results? I don't want to seem difficult.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 22-Feb-17 08:15:16

I would call the GP again and get this person to go through your blood test results properly particularly with reference to thyroid (these can also cause tiredness and irregular periods to arise). It is not being difficult to ask for results.

INeedNewShoes Wed 22-Feb-17 08:18:47

Just call your GP's secretary and ask if they can leave a printout of your results at reception for you to collect.

Mine are always perfectly happy to do this.

christinarossetti Wed 22-Feb-17 09:06:46

I think you need to find out which results were borderline and speak to GP about ongoing tiredness.

I was supposedly not anaemic when I was pregnant, but started taking Spatone anyway and the difference was remarkable.

Most GPs start prescribing for thyroid conditions when a person becomes symptomatic, so it does sound like another visit to the GP is in order.

Yoshimimuddlingthrough Wed 22-Feb-17 13:31:37

Thanks for replies. Got test results print out. Doesn't mean an awful lot to me though. Lots of result, a couple marked up as below range.

Will post results in case anyone is an (helpful) expert?!

3 thyroid figures but only one out of range

TSH level 1.49. [0.27-4.2]
Serum free triiodothyronine 4.5. [3.1-6.8]
Serum free T4 11.1. [12.0-22.0] below range

Blood count
Lots of normal results, 2 below range
Mean cell haemoglobin 26.1 [27.0 - 32.0]
Mean cell haemoglobin concentration 299 [310.0 - 360.0]

Okite Wed 22-Feb-17 13:37:28

Did you have B12 tested? And iron (ferritin)?

The mchc isn't a test as such, it's a calculation using other test results and gives an indication of how many red blood cells you have. Mine is low too (and I'm also knackered) but I can never get a gp to be interested in it. Makes you wonder why they bother a) testing and b)having normal ranges when they ignore things out of range anyway!

GoldenWorld Wed 22-Feb-17 13:45:15

Looks like it's your thyroid that's the problem, along with being anaemic. Your mean cell volume, which is the size of your red blood cells, is low. I'd start taking an iron supplement if you're not already and see if that works but I'd also back to discuss the thyroid test results and the irregular periods as it's been going on a long time. Maybe get tested for vitamin B12 and vitamin D levels as well.

Yoshimimuddlingthrough Wed 22-Feb-17 14:06:26

Can't see B12 or ferritin.

I had a really low ferritin result - 9 - a couple of years ago, it was retested at some point after iron supplements and was within range. I recall the ferritin range was huge and my GP's (different GP) view was that even being in range but at the bottom wasn't adequate.

I could quite honestly go to sleep now!

I wonder why the GP doesn't think the thyroid is an issue. Tbh he didn't ask about symptoms I thought were related. (I think my hair has been thinning and ....er, very obvious hair loss somewhere else blush.)

I guess the irregular periods could be age (41).

Back I go I guess....

Okite Wed 22-Feb-17 14:59:01

Yes I'd go back, be persistent. It sucks when you don't have the energy to get through a day, let alone battle for diagnosis. 😖

Yoshimimuddlingthrough Wed 22-Feb-17 19:27:46

Forgot to say, sorry you're knackered too Okite.

ivykaty44 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:17:53

Yosh

They are your results, nothing wrong with asking for the numbers or a print out, why would a Dr want to keep them secret?

ivykaty44 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:18:40

If your tsh is within normal range your T4 results won't be done so be aware of this

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now