Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Piles treatment

(81 Posts)
Funnyface1 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:10:34

Can anyone give me some information on any treatment you've had on the NHS? Or private actually? What stage were you at? What were your options? Did you have successful treatment?

I have my first meeting with a colorectal surgeon in 5 weeks and I just want as much information (and positive outcomes!) as I can get.

Thank you in advance, I'm obviously petrified and feel so alone to be honest.

Funnyface1 Tue 21-Feb-17 11:48:29

Nobody? I've also made an appointment for a private consultation for next week. Willing to do whatever is best, but just wanted some experiences and advice.

MollyHuaCha Tue 21-Feb-17 12:45:55

Sorry, no experience here. But I don't want you to feel ignored, hope you get some useful info soon flowers

Funnyface1 Tue 21-Feb-17 15:41:27

Thank you, I appreciate it.

mathsy Tue 21-Feb-17 16:00:15

No personal experience either here. But your thread made me smile (sorry!) as my mum had terrible piles after having me. She was always in pain with them and using a variety of methods to make it more bearable. I kept begging her to have some kind of surgery but she never did (she passed away a few years ago). Hope it all goes well for you xx

Funnyface1 Tue 21-Feb-17 20:00:12

Thank you. Mine are also the result of two beautiful babies, the youngest of which is just 6 months old, but for the past 5 months life has become unbearable and I can't cope. I'm just hoping I can be fixed, willing to go private, can't wait for my consultation next week. Was hoping for some advice/experiences on here since apparently this is a common problem that nobody talks about. But obviously not.

Doofas Tue 21-Feb-17 20:10:05

I had treatment a few months after giving birth. I had them banded. I thought I was going to a 'let's see what we're going to do about them at some point' appointment. It turned out it was 'let's sort them out right now appointment'. Fortunately my husband had driven me to the hospital - I was going to get the bus with the baby. It hurt an incredible amount, was doubled over in pain when we got home. Eased within not too much time. Hasn't sorted them completely though.

Lules Tue 21-Feb-17 20:17:51

Kind of feel embarrassed talking about it even on an anonymous forum, but i think it isn't talked about enough. I too had them after giving birth. They were agony and massive. Surgeon decided to cut them off under general anaesthetic. I don't know why he couldnt band them. I read awful stories on the internet but it was fine. Felt woozy from the anaesthetic for a day but that wore off quickly. I was given strong painkillers but only needed them for a few days. The first poo was very painful and I almost passed out. I wish I'd had someone there to look after the baby as that didn't help. But apart from that it was fine and I can't believe I wasted time putting up with it because I was too embarrassed to go to the doctor.

PilesPiles Tue 21-Feb-17 20:21:05

Namechanged!

I had banding treatment too. It did hurt for a bit so get someone to drive you home and buy one of those cushions with a hole to sit on. However it did get rid of the original piles. Once they had gone it was easier to stay pile free (see below).

However I have to be carful otherwise new ones can appear. The doctor said I would be likely to get more if I didn't eat the right stuff. These things help keep me pile free -

Lots of fruit, fibre and drinking enough water.
Add fibogel to food / water.
Soaking are in hot water and Epsom salts every day- either in a bath or a Sitz Bath is really good.
H Care cream is amazing (Holland and Barrett)
Don't ever strain when going to toilet.

PuraVida Tue 21-Feb-17 20:35:47

I hadn't an open hemorrhoidectomy. Mine were external so couldn't be banded. I'm not going to lie - it was excruciatingly painful for about 3 weeks. It was done as day surgery and having been sent home with Codiene hmmconfused I truly thought I was going to die each time I tried pooing for a couple of weeks.

As it is I've still got the fuckers. Whether it didn't work or whether I've since grown new ones I don't know but I'm sure as hell reluctant to find out.

They have a really negative impact on my life, not exactly sexy are they, so I really don't want to put you off seeking help. Just don't go to the McDonalds of NHS surgery and walk out 3 hours later with a drug that causes constipation (I didn't know it did until much later)

AntiHop Tue 21-Feb-17 20:38:49

I had an operation to remove them. Really painful recovery and had to take 2 weeks off work. Don't let that put you off the operation though.

LittleMissCantbebothered Tue 21-Feb-17 20:40:55

Oh god, I've got surgery coming up for four (yes four!!!) internal piles and a very large skin tag which they are removing at the same time and leaving the wound open. I've got 2 children to look after.

I'm going to struggle aren't I....,.,,,

Lules Tue 21-Feb-17 20:46:52

As I said, apart from the first poo it was fine for me LittleMiss so you might be lucky. I would try and arrange back up childcare just in case though

Funnyface1 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:31:00

Thank you all so much for replying, I really appreciate it. I definitely won't be put off seeking help. I'm not brave or anything but things can't go on like this, I have no choice but to get help and hope it was the right thing and I don't end up worse. Littlemiss, what type of surgery are you having? Is is one of the new half/thd techniques?

Funnyface1 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:31:27

Halo, not half!!

LittleMissCantbebothered Tue 21-Feb-17 21:43:44

Funny face - I don't know too many details, mainly because I don't want to be able to google things and scare myself! I know the internal piles will be frozen, and the skin tag wound will be left open. I thought I was going to have a local anaesthetic, but was told today it will be general. I'd rather have had local so I can get home sooner, but looking in the bright side I won't have to be awake in such an undignified situation!

Funnyface1 Tue 21-Feb-17 21:54:16

Littlemiss I have not heard of a procedure where they can be frozen, I wonder what the official name is. I don't want a hemorrhoidectomy, but am hoping to have the Thd treatment. I'm going private to cut down on the wait and hopefully choose my treatment. I don't know how soon it will be but hopefully not too long after my consultation on Monday. I will definitely opt for a general anaesthetic. I genuinely wish you all the best and appreciate you telling me about it.

Funnyface1 Wed 22-Feb-17 13:13:35

If anyone else has any other experiences I should love to hear about them.

whoputthecatout Wed 22-Feb-17 17:46:37

I had surgery many years ago and it was honestly not so bad. The first poo was a bit eye watering but it was so worth it. After far too much time with weeping piles, being hardly able to walk let alone sit down I would rather have the op a hundred times over than not have surgery and rely on creams or any temporary remedial treatments.

Funnyface1 Wed 22-Feb-17 18:40:51

Whoputthecatout thank you for that. You say many years ago and that you're glad you had it done so I'm assuming it's been a long term benefit to you, which is of course what I'm hoping for. I expect it to be painful in the short term but I suppose my biggest fear is that it doesn't solve the problem in the long term. Because I can't go on like this and then I don't know what I'll do. I've lost 2 stone in weight since Christmas. Oh well, better stay positive and look forward to my consultation on Monday.

whoputthecatout Thu 23-Feb-17 11:28:43

Funnyface. Yes, long term benefit. Had no more trouble since. It was in the early 1980s (I'm pretty ancient!). Of course, no one can guarantee long term success but it certainly worked for me. Good luck for Monday.

Funnyface1 Thu 23-Feb-17 11:53:12

Thank you for that, gives me hope that I at least have a chance. If I can just be well enough to get my kids a bit older I'll be happy.

DextersMistress Thu 23-Feb-17 11:58:28

I'm booked in for thd next week. I haven't done much research as tbh I'm shitting myself grin it is a relatively new treatment and is billed as pain free. We'll have to wait and see though...

Funnyface1 Thu 23-Feb-17 12:16:07

Dextersmistress thank you for replying. If the surgeon says I can have it I'm definitely booking thd for asap. I have done some research but like you am terrified of looking into it too much in case I scare myself into not having it done. I know I'll be the least of your priorities but if you will update me after you've had it done when you feel up to it I'll be ever so grateful. And I'm sending every good wish your way.

Semaphorically Thu 23-Feb-17 12:20:35

I haven't had my post-baby piles sorted out yet but I plan to. I'm hoping to have laser treatment on mine, as piles are actually varicose veins and from what I've read they don't respond well to surgical removal of the obvious lumps - the damaged vein has to be removed up its length like they do with varicose veins in legs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now