Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mooncups, giving it a try, but doubt I can leave the house

(17 Posts)
SittingWithMyFeetUP12 Mon 20-Feb-17 14:59:37

So after suffering from heavy (very) periods, I saw that a mooncup might be the solution (just dont fancy a Mirena coil at all, cant see it staying in place)
Well today is the first day, easy enough to insert, after it jumps out of your hands a few times, but when changing it !!!! Ugh.

I couldnt use this at work ...I could use it in an all in one cubicle, but not where the basins are outside the toilet....who can manage these ??
Its a nice idea, but just doesnt seem at all practical for me, except in the house..

Eatingcheeseontoast Mon 20-Feb-17 15:01:46

Just tip it into the loo, quick wipe with toilet roll, pop back in. Sort out properly when back home. I find them really convenient - but on heavy days you have to empty more often.

Hgmother Mon 20-Feb-17 15:04:04

I know what you mean, but just do as the other poster said about wiping it or get some femfresh wipes to clean it with if you feel better about that. You get used to all the ick after a while.

SittingWithMyFeetUP12 Mon 20-Feb-17 15:28:29

A yes but if im out and about....and apologies here...but from the changes so far....blood covered hand, random long line of thick blood down my leg, and on bathroom mats (requiring wet wipe clean for speed or bath), more blood covered hand and toilet seat, just taking the thing out... !

Unless im armed with toilet cleaner, wet wipes and possible changes of clothes, this may not be the thing for me !

(Thanks for the advice though)

SittingWithMyFeetUP12 Mon 20-Feb-17 15:29:17

I'll persevere.....an maybe just plan...

Hgmother Mon 20-Feb-17 15:32:07

You will get used to it... and it does get easier and cleaner to use. There's a knack (took me a few months) to get it so no mess and good placement every time. It isnt for every one though so obviously if it's not right for you don't feel like you should just stick with it regardless!

Chasingsquirrels Mon 20-Feb-17 15:32:36

I've been using mine for 10+ years.
It dies get a lot easier & quicker after the first couple of months.
Ay work I take out, empty into loo & reinsert. Then wipe my hand - and really it's only thumb & 1 finger with loo roll to clean off blood then wash in the basin outside the cubicle.

fuzzywuzzy Mon 20-Feb-17 15:43:35

I've been using the mooncup for about ten years now.

To remove, I just need to use forefinger ad thumb, squeeze the base to break the seal and carefully pull out whilst bearing down. I tip the contents into the toilet bowl and usually carry a small bottle of water with me which I use to rinse out the mooncup, others tend to just give it a quick wipe.

Over time I've also noticed my periods have gotten lighter and less painful, I do think it's down to the mooncup for me.

I took to the mooncup quite quickly, and I think it took about three cycles before I was confident with it. If you're not confident yet (understandably), then switch to your previous sanpro choice when out and about till you are confident.

I've not had blood running down my leg or hands covered in blood either, I tip the mooncup straight down the bowl tipping it away from me so I don't come into contact with the contents.

I think you'll find your own technique as you get used to it.

There are other makes of mooncups out there, (which I've not tried)which might be more user friendly for you, if you want ot shop around a bit till settling on your final choice.

sycamore54321 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:41:39

I find I don't need to change it as frequently as other protection and so almost never change it in public loos. At home before and after work is plenty for me. That was one big advantage for me, not needing to change as frequently as a tampon.

sycamore54321 Mon 20-Feb-17 16:45:15

I should add practice does improve your technique and lessen any spills. Of course, if it doesn't suit you, it doesn't suit and so no need to use it - I find some users can be a bit too evangelical about them on threads like these! But if you want to give it a few more tries, I would imagine changes will be smoother and tidier with practice.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 20-Feb-17 16:45:32

It gets easier.

Top tip: float some.toilet paper on top of the water before you empty, will stop your blood sinking and "sticking" to the bottom of the bowl.

* Any links that may appear in this post were not me so don't click them...

SittingWithMyFeetUP12 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:46:07

Thanks great tips.. ;-) I have horrendously heavy periods, so will preserve to at least give it a decent chance of success..thanks very much, advise greatly appreciated !

SittingWithMyFeetUP12 Mon 20-Feb-17 18:46:27

Advice..

Delurked Mon 20-Feb-17 18:53:53

Hope you don't mind a quick hijack OP - I'm looking for mooncup advice too.

I tried a mooncup for my last period. Could insert it fine, but I found it really difficult (and painful) to remove - it just seemed too wide for comfort as it came out. Is this normal/ does it get better? I went for the bigger size due to my age but now I'm wondering if I need a smaller one (have never given birth vaginally). But I think there's only a few mm difference between the two sizes, so would it really make a difference? Any advice welcome!

sycamore54321 Mon 20-Feb-17 19:19:03

Are you sure you are removing it correctly? You don't just tug it out, you need to squeeze the side inwards to break the seal and pull it out while it is slightly folded. It's not quite as compressed as when you are inserting but it's a similar idea.

If you are already doing this, then yes the bigger size is probably too large.

frazzled3ds Mon 20-Feb-17 19:24:14

I've been using moon cup for at least a year now (I think!) and it's brilliant. I too have very heavy periods, and long ones, and would leak through super plus tampons very quickly. Mooncup has massively reduced this (I still use a towel on peak days), and cramps have also gone too. Did take a little while to get used to inserting and removing, but all in all, I'm so glad I switched to it, much less hassle overall, and no longer worried about the rather erratic flow I tend to have either.

Lalsy Mon 20-Feb-17 23:52:16

OP, I have used a mooncup for years and when my period is at its heaviest I have to switch to ultra tampons. It fills in 45 mins and is just too messy if I am not at home (which I try to be if I possibly can!). I aso find large clots make it almost fall out (TMI?). This is usually just a day or a night, and I use my mooncup without problems the rest of the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now