Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This hideous coughing lurgy ....... who else has had it?

(94 Posts)
paganmolloy Mon 20-Feb-17 10:25:17

Anyone else had it and for how long? I'm now on day 23 and still not right.
Mine started just as a sore throat and tight chest. In bed for two days, eventually started feeling better but it was like one step forward, two back. I was sore from coughing and gasping for breath. Last Thursday finally started feeling vaguely human again but still get a spluttery coughing fit and feel worse in bed. I'm soooooo tired and can hardly climb the stairs. Prior to this I was running 5k twice a week, and doing 3 classes in gym as well as walking everywhere.

sunnyhills Mon 20-Feb-17 10:40:48

Have you been to the GP? If not ....you must.

It could be whooping cough .which goes on for ever and in adults often doesn't have the whooping sound .And for which they can do nothing I think unless caught really early .And then only stuff to which restricts you passing it on .

Wishing you better .

Isadora2007 Mon 20-Feb-17 10:45:24

My son. He coughs all flaming night. In his sleep... guess who doesn't sleep!

He also has an upper respiratory virus thing so can't hear well due to blocked ears.

Last night I gave him his inhaler (not that It seems to help) and Vicks on his feet with socks and put pillows under his mattress. He actually had an okay nights sleep- just two bouts of coughing.
I on the other hand was up violently sick through the night- typical!!!

Get well soon!

Imnotaslimjim Mon 20-Feb-17 10:51:49

Me! I finally caved after 3 weeks of DH frowning at me. Every coughing fit was leaving me wheezing and dizzy. Dr said my chest sounds "very moist" and I should have gone a lot sooner. I'm on penicillin, into day 3 and seeing little improvement. If I don't seem better I have to go back tomorrow. Please do go and get seen!

pieceofpurplesky Mon 20-Feb-17 10:51:56

Me! Had antibiotics for the chest infection, steroids and an inhaler. Third week now and coughing badly still.
Have not felt this shitty in years.
flowers

2014newme Mon 20-Feb-17 10:55:46

I have had it for four months.
Have been to gp. Am wheezing but chest is clear.

Badders123 Mon 20-Feb-17 10:57:15

I had it for 8 weeks all over and new year
2 lots of abx which did nothing
DT signed he off work for a week I was so bad
Rest as much as you can
Fluids
Difflam thrust spray
Humidifier at night
Co codamol
Hope you feel better soon!

amysmummy12345 Mon 20-Feb-17 10:58:02

Us! Me, DD 3 and 8 month old DD all have it, got about three weeks now, GP just keeps saying its viral 😌

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 20-Feb-17 11:03:33

Me and both of my boys, dh and dd have avoided it. Probably into my 4th week of chesty phlegm, baby has been snotty since Christmas and ds age 4 has had a cough since the end of Christmas term. This week I've shaken off the exhausted feeling a bit, but still have waves during the day when I feel absolutely wiped out. We assumed it was several different bugs back to back, but the more I hear it seems lots of people have just had this ongoing lingering virus.

I've been taking metatone tonic and echinacea but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

picklemepopcorn Mon 20-Feb-17 11:04:32

Oh dear... I'm day four. Looks like a long haul. Two days in bed, two days on sofa. If I move, I cough.

Anyone learned how to cough without hurting your head? Shocking stabbing pains...

Badders123 Mon 20-Feb-17 11:06:08

throat spray blush

FairNotFair Mon 20-Feb-17 11:14:15

Into my third week sad

2014newme Mon 20-Feb-17 11:28:45

I have to say that although I an in the fourth month of it I am no longer coughing till I vomit. But after months of it I am finding it wearing. Co codamol helps

ALemonyPea Mon 20-Feb-17 11:32:35

I go at it mid November, and still have the odd cough if I over exert myself.

I went to the GP after the third week as I thought it was whooping cough, as it was mostly at night and I couldn't breathe, was gasping for breath.

It's viral, DH also had it, luckily it missed the DC.

Hope you're feeling better soon Op.

thenewaveragebear1983 Mon 20-Feb-17 12:26:33

Cocodamol will seem like it helps but that's because codeine is a cough suppressant. If you have a productive cough (ie coughing up stuff rather than a dry cough) you shouldn't take codeine or other suppressants as it prevents you from expelling the stuff off your chest. The best thing is inhaling steam to loosen the chest mucus. I also like Covonia chesty in a cup of hot water and drink it like a lemsip but I think there's multiple studies that claim cough medicines don't actually work!

JammyGeorge Mon 20-Feb-17 12:30:32

DH is 3 weeks in and really suffering. GP says viral he's coughing like I don't know what every night.

He's just started sudafed decongestant and one of those nasal sprays and he seems a little better the last couple of days.

paganmolloy Mon 20-Feb-17 14:49:49

Thanks folks, just catching up on messages and disappointed to learn that it's throat spray, not thrust spray smile

But I did go to docs second week. She detected a bit of a crackle and prescribed abs. Was on penicillin for a week and it made no difference. I'm not coughing continuously anymore, just the odd spasm when a change of air catches me or I move in bed. So since ABs made no difference I was assuming it was viral and I just need to be patient! But if I'm still this lacking in energy by next week (week 5) I'll go back (feel like I'm never away from the place just now sad and hate wasting time if there is nothing they can do.

Lushmetender Mon 20-Feb-17 14:57:40

I had this and had to have an X-ray. Basically needed a different type of antibiotic and it finally went away. I needed clarithromycin

Badders123 Mon 20-Feb-17 15:05:29

Sorry Molly 😂
An inhaler might help but it is viral, definitely
My dr says it's adenovirus and it's nasty

EggysMom Mon 20-Feb-17 21:04:02

I'm in week 7 or 8 of this! Energy levels start to come back after week 4, but the coughing persists (just less frequently/violently). Unfortunately our son - who had escaped the cough virus - brought a cold home from school which set me back during week 6, I lost all energy again but only for a few days.

paganmolloy Mon 20-Feb-17 22:01:21

Adenovirus??? Am away to google that

WashBasketsAreUs Tue 21-Feb-17 13:57:31

Anyone having the night sweats? I'm four weeks in, have never been so ill in my life. The cough has mostly gone but I can't sleep longer than an hour or two as I wake up literally dripping, worse than menopausal sweating!
Eventually my doctor gave me antibiotics and I've got a few more days to take yet. I have had so little sleep and I have zero energy. I've been off work for over 3 weeks and can't see an end to it.
Any suggestions re the sweating?

FairNotFair Tue 21-Feb-17 15:01:51

Yes, I'm having the night sweats too. I'm not menopausal (yet), so I have no frame of reference, but they wake me up. Cough all day, sweat all night. Delicious. And the bouts of diarrhoea (sorry) only add to the fun.

pieceofpurplesky Tue 21-Feb-17 15:16:46

Yes to the sweating and the diarrhoea. Also coughing up so much gunk. And coughing till sick. Antibiotics didn't touch it!

measles64 Tue 21-Feb-17 15:25:56

DH had it over xmas, seemed better after a couple of weeks, a fresh cold virus set it off all over again, it is awful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now