Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Talk to me about Mole Mapping, please.

(3 Posts)
IllMetByMoonlight Mon 20-Feb-17 09:55:12

I am pretty much covered in 100s of moles of various shapes and sizes and colours on a fairly pale skin. I always have had a lot of moles and have had a handful removed in my twenties when I lived in another EU country where skin cancer prevention seems to have a greater element of surgical intervention on a "just in case" basis and check-ups include a general looking over.
However, these days I just can't bring myself to ask my GP to check any suspicious moles, having brought a few to their attention over the years following changes in appearance, only to come away feeling like such a time waster, when luckily the moles have seemed to be alright. I have them everywhere, and I find it hard to keep an eye on suspicious looking ones, let alone ones that are changing.
I am thinking of getting into an annual mole mapping thing, but am wondering about the cost. The consultation is pricy as it is, but the cost of subsequent investigation / analysis and removal are positively eye watering (knocking on £500-600 for a "whole package" where I live).
Does anyone have regular mole mapping, what is your experience of it, and do you know whether it is possible to say, in a worst case scenario, "Thank you very much for the information, mole mapping nurse, I will take this worrying result back to my GP and request a referral for removal on the NHS" ?

DrE678 Mon 20-Feb-17 09:57:48

I've not had mole mapping but you can absolutely take the results to the NHS. Suspected cancer would be treated under the two week referral rules.

IllMetByMoonlight Mon 20-Feb-17 12:07:30

Thank you, DrE, that is helpful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now