Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

C section scar reopened and I'm freaking out!

(18 Posts)
Fma14 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:07:26

Hi all, I'm after some advice and to know that I'm not the only one hopefully. I had an emergency c section 3 years ago and a few days ago a small hole opened up in the scar. I only noticed because my pants were wet with blood at the top. The same bit reopened a month or so after birth but since has been fine. It has always been a bit sire but now it feels like I'm really bruised. I did go to the hospital walk in but basically just have a glorified plaster on it and they had no idea why it would reopen after so long...any ideas anyone? I am overweight but the hospital didn't think this was the reason and I have recently started being more active playing squash and badminton but, again they didn't seem to think this would cause it. I'm so freaked out about it!

MollyHuaCha Sat 18-Feb-17 21:18:02

Sounds like it could get infected? If I were you I'd make a GP appointment.

Fma14 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:23:06

I went to the hospital walk in and they didn't seem overly bothered but couldn't answer why it has happened so long after its healed, they have me a glorified plaster basically and said it would heal

hedwig2001 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:44:09

Read something recently about old wounds unknitting, due to Vitamin C deficiency. Worth trying to optimise your Vitamin C level, to see if it helps.

Fma14 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:01:22

Ah that's interesting, thank you, where did you read it?

hairymuffet Sat 18-Feb-17 22:02:43

Could there still be an old stitch in there ??

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Sat 18-Feb-17 22:02:51

Get thee to the GP on Monday. Take a photo, measure the size of the split
Does it smell
Unpleasant?

DearMrDilkington Sat 18-Feb-17 22:05:23

Reopenedshock. Jesus, I didn't know they did that! I thought the hospital would be more concerned as its a high risk of infection.

I hope it gets sorted soon, I'd be freaking out too!

Fma14 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:21:31

Yeah maybe a stitch, I can't see anything but I suppose it could be in deeper?

I didn't know scars reopened either- since I've googled it there is multiple hits but I can't see why it would happen, I need to stop thinking about it I think otherwise it's driving me bonkers!!

Fma14 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:23:07

Doesn't smell at all, but it is itchy

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Sat 18-Feb-17 22:29:16

Yy, scurvy caused by lack of Vit C famously can cause wounds to reopen.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/175389

Closedenv Sat 18-Feb-17 22:30:39

Happened to me many many years after my cs. Healed up ok. Just kept dressing in waist of my pants to try keeping it clean. Healed then did it again then no more, so far. No-one was of any help/use.

Closedenv Sat 18-Feb-17 22:32:21

Lack of vit C def not what caused mine.

Fma14 Sat 18-Feb-17 22:36:02

I can't see it being because of a lack of vit c, generally get a lot of that in my diet, at least I thought I did but I guess it's possible!

TheresALight Sat 18-Feb-17 23:03:43

When my scar opened up about 2 months after the birth the nurse at my GP was amazing. She found a deep knot in the stitching, took it out and had me go back every 2 days to check and re-dress my wound.
The midwife I saw a day before told me that she couldn't see any opening!
I would see if you can get a nurse appointment just for peace of mind.

Fma14 Sun 19-Feb-17 09:53:29

Thanks Theresa light, I think that's what I will do as you say for peace of mind. I jut don't get why its happened so long after, weird. And i feel like its sods law that ive just got back into an exercise routine and now im too scared that i will do more damage to go back to the gym. Will talk to the GP about possibility of vit c deficiency too.

Mooey89 Sun 19-Feb-17 18:59:59

You have been doing a lot lately, that probably has put pressure on it.

Get in to see the nurse at your docs. It's not scurvy wink

P.s - you came up in active! And yes it's me.

Fma14 Mon 20-Feb-17 17:16:28

Just an update... saw care clinic at my GO who didn't bat an eye at it. Apparently it looks like where there might have been a knot in the stitches and the skin has grown oddly there and is rubbing on each other and another possibility is an undissolved stitch. Have got some antibiotic cream to support healing and prevent infection and told to go to GP if hasn't healed in a week. Was told that if it doesn't heal then GP May refer me back to the surgeon but that it would likely be considered a cosmetic procedure and as such is likely to be unavailable on the NHS. I feel so much better having seen someone who gave me some rational information about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now