Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Cough returning and feeling worse

(4 Posts)
Biscuitsneeded Sat 18-Feb-17 19:54:05

Whenever I have a cold it always ends up being a cough that takes weeks to go away. Had a cold about 3 weeks ago and was quite pleased because the cough wasn't as bad as normal (ie I mostly managed to sleep) and by this week it was almost gone. However the last two days I have started coughing again. It hurts, I have a headache and feel hot. I'm a bit wheezy but nothing unmanageable. I had asthma as a child and needed an inhaler for a cough a while back, but other coughs since have not felt like asthma and in fact the inhaler seemed to irritate rather than relieve the cough so I haven't used it. I feel like it would make me cough more if I used it now. Do I just wait it out, or do I need to see a doctor?

eurochick Sat 18-Feb-17 20:16:58

If you feel hot it could have developed into a chest infection that will need antibiotics to help it on its way. I'm not one for rushing to the GP but would go for this.

Biscuitsneeded Sat 18-Feb-17 20:19:30

Thanks. I'm completely shattered so will have an early night and see how I feel tomorrow. If not better by Monday will go to the doctor...

IvorHughJarrs Sat 18-Feb-17 23:12:54

I think you are only supposed to go to the GP with a cough if you've had it more than 48 hours, are generally unwell and are coughing up green, yellow or brown gunk. Being hot can also happen with a virus and the advice is plenty of fluids and paracetamol and/or ibuprofen

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now