Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Spots at 42 - help!! (Pic included)

(20 Posts)
Shnorbitz Sat 18-Feb-17 09:19:12

For the past 3 or 4 months I've had a continual cluster of spots on one side of my chin. Most don't have a head so no squeezing done, but the buggers just won't go away. I'm not sure if they are hormonal spots or acne or something else. I get a few sporadic ones on other parts of my face but the ones on my chin are doing my head in!!! Any ideas?

sadie9 Sat 18-Feb-17 10:51:03

I was getting clusters of spots around my chin and my nose, coming and going in waves, but never really going away. Then I realised it was chocolate. I stopped eating chocolate and after a week, a big improvement, and now literally I have no spots. The Cadbury's common chocolate seemed to do it worse, but also any chocolate seems to bring them back, literally within 24hrs of eating it. And I'd only be eating a couple of squares a day or maybe half a Twirl or something like that.

Shnorbitz Sat 18-Feb-17 11:17:11

Thanks Sadie. I don't eat chocolate at all though. I'm flummoxed, been on a proper healthy eating plan since Jan thinking it might have been food related but even eating 'clean' they still aren't going.

I'm possibly peri-menopausal, though the doctor cant confirm either way, blood tests all ok.

I may have to go back to the GP and see if there's anything they can prescribe to clear them up.

EllenRipley Sat 18-Feb-17 14:43:38

Could be peri oral dermatitis? Apparently toothpaste ingredients can cause it, also linked to hormones. I had it years ago, I washed with grapefruit seed extract and used calendula cream, was the only combo that got rid of it. Doc would probably give you a steroidal or antifungal cream.

Shnorbitz Sat 18-Feb-17 15:34:17

Thanks @Allen, I might give your combo a try!

Shnorbitz Sat 18-Feb-17 15:34:53

Sorry @Ellen, sausage finger typing smile

hairymuffet Sat 18-Feb-17 20:50:56

Probably hormonal.
Try an acne face wash, I still use clearasil in the shower every morning at 48 ! !
Maybe rosacea ??

EllenRipley Sun 19-Feb-17 16:43:45

smile welcome! Hope it works!

Shnorbitz Sun 19-Feb-17 17:07:07

@Ellen, good 'ole Amazon delivered this morning and having tried it today the difference is already noticeable. Fingers crossed grin

PollyPerky Sun 19-Feb-17 17:53:43

I think you ought to see your GP and maybe even ask for a referral to a dermo. They look really nasty spots and you may end up with scarring.

DDs were not as bad as that and the dermo put her on Roaccutane, then after that she had ABs for ages as it did come back a bit.

Snugglepalace Sun 19-Feb-17 18:07:17

Have you changed your skincare routine at all. I'm 44 and had this a couple of years ago. The spots were mainly under the skin and painful. I thought they may have been hormonal related but then realised it could have been the moisteriser i had started to use. I had started using astral (after reading Joanna Lumley swore by it!) I stopped using it and within a couple of weeks the spots went away.

EllenRipley Sun 19-Feb-17 20:42:57

Ooh sounds promising! Just don't be tempted to try undiluted grapefruitseed extract, like I did... fecking napalm! It's strong stuff. If it does work, def need the 'after' pics! X

Shnorbitz Sun 19-Feb-17 21:00:14

My skin feels amazing tonight! @Ellen I have used it undiluted- what should it be mixed it with?

Went out tonight for a meal with friends and for the first time, when I went to the ladies, I didn't have the scaly patches around the spots that I'd normally have. That's not to say the spots have gone, far from it, but I'm going to give it a good week or so and see what happens.

Shnorbitz Sun 19-Feb-17 21:01:54

Less inflamed and ragged.

Shnorbitz Sun 19-Feb-17 21:04:07

I know they look red, but they are less prominent, might not be visible from the pic. Putting make up on is much easier and I need less to cover them
up. Will see what tomorrow brings - hopefully better than I've suffered with till now.

cauliflowercheese14 Sun 19-Feb-17 21:07:17

I'm 43 and get something that looks similar, after trying all sorts of topical stuff I eventually linked it to eating gluten. Which is amazingly annoying as you can imagine but I'd rather have clear skin than eat gluten.

CoperCabana Sun 19-Feb-17 21:10:33

Another one voting for peri oral dermatitis. I had similar and got rid with suplhur soap and anti fungal cream. I am a similar age too.

Shnorbitz Sun 19-Feb-17 21:47:18

Since mid Jan I've been following Slimming World to a fashion. No bread, less carbs, more protein etc. The strange thing is, the spots have been there since late Oct early November, and even by changing my diet they haven't disappeared. Since Jan I've had a growling left ovary, not sure if a coincidence or not. 6 years ago I had a laparoscopy on said ovary and consultant said I had a fibroid but it wasn't big enough, according to him, to cause me pain. I might be adding 2 and 2 together and making 5, but I'm wondering now if there is a connection????

PollyPerky Sun 19-Feb-17 22:41:37

I doubt there is any connection but acne is one of the signs of a hormone imbalance.

EllenRipley Mon 20-Feb-17 09:47:30

Did it not itch like crazy?! Saying that, it only needs a bit of water so if you're rinsing it off I'm sure it's fine! I used it like a facewash, squeezed a bit on my palm and added a bit of water to make a slight lather, rubbed it in to affected area. So glad you've had some relief, when I used to get it, it drove me crazy. Grapefruit seed extract is a citricidal so good for bacterial and fungal stuff. It could well be hormonal, I do remember reading that as an explanation. If you've got a fibroid and grumbly ovary you could have an imbalance? I've got a fibroid too and recently had laparoscopic surgery to remove a cyst. Wonky hormones can cause all manner of bodily dysfunctions! Can see from pic it looks improved OP, hope it continues! X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now