Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy eyes and eye styes

(4 Posts)
beanfilledfish Fri 17-Feb-17 22:25:50

sad I've had itchy eyes for months now being referred but now keep getting painful styes Has anyone had similar and found a cure? Have anti histamines that do nowt and really fed up with it now

gingercoffee Sat 18-Feb-17 00:52:47

My daughter had what we thought were styes for a few years when she was little. Found out they were actually meibomian cysts, which are harmless but were annoying and left scars when they burst. We saw lots of doctors with her, but the best advice we got was to hold a warm cloth/tea bag over her eye(s) each evening. We did it for a minute each time, although don't know if we needed to do it for that long. It made them go really quickly and the problem went away in the end. I'm not sure whether she 'grew out of it', being a child, and whether this would be different for you as an adult.

Of course it's best to check whether you have actual styes or something else like dd had. Just wanted to let you know that they're not always styes. The constant itchy eyes may also be down to blepharatis, which can be itchy and go hand-in-hand with meibomian cysts.

From www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Blepharitis/Pages/Complications.aspx

"A Meibomian cyst is when there's swelling on the inside of your eyelids. A cyst can develop if one of your Meibomian glands, which produce an oily substance that forms part of your tears, becomes inflamed as a result of blepharitis. The cysts are normally painless, unless they get infected."

JuneJuly Sat 18-Feb-17 01:01:34

Are you taking oral antihistamines or drops? I get itchy, watery eyes occasionally (last time q recently) and I use both at the same time - one a day tablets & the drops I use are called Opticrom. I know it's some sort of allergic reaction when I get it though, but I definitely need the drops, the tablets on their own wouldn't sort it.

Not sure if yours would be caused by allergy though with the development of the styes aswell. Unless the styes are as a result of your eyes becoming frequently itchy.

beanfilledfish Sat 18-Feb-17 07:53:32

The Dr said it wasn't blepharitus but I wonder if I have now developed that will try the opticrom drops Im only using fexofenafine orally

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now