Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

intravenious sedation??

(8 Posts)
wurlywurly Wed 28-Feb-07 21:45:37

I'm being sedate when i have my dental work, but i dont know if i will actually be awake or asleep, does anyonw know?? Whats the norm??

NorksBride Wed 28-Feb-07 22:04:38

Bumping for you

pepperpots Wed 28-Feb-07 22:06:16

I was sedated, kept awake but only vaguely aware of what was going on (and i am the worlds worst patient btw)

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 28-Feb-07 22:07:55

it is serene!

had all four of my wisdom teeth out last thursday. you dont know a thing about it.
apparently you are 'awake' but not coherent. you dont feel anything at all or remember anything at all either. you will come round thinking you have been asleep.
its the only way i can have any work done!

LadyOfTheFlowers Wed 28-Feb-07 22:09:39

it is the same as when you have an op in my experience. you have a canula put in your hand (my dentist does it better than anyone ive had at the hospital! lol) then they push the stuff into it and chat to you, then you wake up with a 'fat lip'.

mistypeaks Wed 28-Feb-07 22:27:09

I am categorically terrified of dentists. I hadn't been for 10+ years until my wisdom tooth came through and got infected. I went and had the sedation. I was in the chair for 2 hours and can't remember a thing. No pain, no aftereffects when I came around. Apparently it is like you are drunk to those around you (you have to have a responsible adult to take you home and look after children). I was giggling and dragging my feet - and embarrasingly drooling!! But as someone with that level of fear to be totally ok with the whole experience I have to give it a big thumbs up.

MoreTeaVicar Thu 01-Mar-07 09:47:51

Second everthing everyone else has said, it is a life saver for those in fear of the dentist. You will have no fear or memory of the dental work. great

wurlywurly Thu 01-Mar-07 10:35:05

I not worried about the sedation, had both my carpal tunnels done under LA but with sedation (cos I have panic attacks), but both times were different. The first time I was very awake but not totally aware of what was going on but the second time I was asleep but it wasnt a ga, cos there was none of the groggy afterness. Would just rather be asleep as i'm gonna be in there for a minimum of 90 minutes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now