Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

should I be worried about ds?

(21 Posts)
hairymclary Wed 28-Feb-07 21:10:22

he's been out of sorts all day, and I just went to check on him and he's breathing faster than normal.
I just went on nhs direct and searched for rapid breathing and it came up with the symptoms bronchiolitis.
he has prety much all of the symptoms.
however, I know I shouldn't rely on internet to diagnose him lol.

if it is bronchiolitis is it serious? should I take him to hosp or anything or will it just clear up on its own?

thelittleElf Wed 28-Feb-07 21:12:38

My advice would be to either call NHS direct or call a dr out to check him if you're worried. Hope he's ok.
xx

misdee Wed 28-Feb-07 21:13:24

how old is he?

hairymclary Wed 28-Feb-07 21:19:15

he's 2.
he is fast asleep atm, and doesn't seem too distressed. it's just the fast breathing

thelittleElf Wed 28-Feb-07 22:42:45

How's he doing now

ledodgyDave Wed 28-Feb-07 22:44:53

All I know is when ds (14 months) was ill and breathing fast I was told to take him straight to A&E which we did and he was kept in overnight. He did have temperatures as well though and was very whingy.

funnypeculiar Wed 28-Feb-07 22:44:56

NHS phone line are great - really supportive, ime, and if they think you're a mad paranoid mother, hey you'll never see them again

hairymclary Wed 28-Feb-07 22:45:50

he got up a little while ago and seemed rather chirpy actually. so put him back to bed and put some wet towels on his radiator (read that on nhs direct)
he's still breathing a little bit fast, but i'm going to wait and see how he is tomorrow.

thanks for advice though

ledodgyDave Wed 28-Feb-07 22:46:07

Should also say ds had a bad cough as well.

hairymclary Wed 28-Feb-07 22:46:34

i don't think he haws a temp, although haven't actually taken it yet.
he doesn't feel too hot

hairymclary Wed 28-Feb-07 22:47:23

yeah he has a cough too. and runny nose. off his food and after his bath this evening he just sat on my lap which he never does, and fell asleep.

ledodgyDave Wed 28-Feb-07 22:47:59

Also it does depend how fast dd was ill last week and breathing faster than normal but when ds needed to go to hosp his breathing was rapid and he was sucking in his tummy loads if you see what I mean.

thelittleElf Wed 28-Feb-07 22:49:51

Maybe he's got a little chest infection...poor thing . See how he is tonight and maybe pop him to the GP if he's off colour in the morning

hairymclary Wed 28-Feb-07 22:51:17

yeah, ds;s isn't that bad, just a bit faster than normal, but he doesn't seem to be sucking in his tummy or anything.
I think i'll bring him in with me tonight though, as dh is away, then I can keep an eye on him

thelittleElf Wed 28-Feb-07 22:52:54

Sounds like a good plan. At least if he's not happy in the night you will be right there.

ledodgyDave Wed 28-Feb-07 22:55:40

Yeah good plan. Hope he feels better soon.

bluejelly Wed 28-Feb-07 22:55:41

My dd always breathes faster when she has a temp. Hope he's better tomorrow

hairymclary Wed 28-Feb-07 22:56:50

Of course, by morning he'll be right as rain and i'll just be knackered having been kicked awwake by a 2 yr old all night lol

twoisenoughmum Wed 28-Feb-07 22:58:49

My dd had bronchiolitis at 8 months. She was making quite a lot of noise with breathing and you could see the hollow under her ribs as she did. I just had a feeling that this was more than the cough and cold we thought she had. We took her to out of hours Dr (it was at bed time that I really noticed the prob) who scared us to death by saying she sounded like she had pneumonia (she didn't, as it turned out) and sent us to hospital straight away. She spent 2 days in, only under observation, no medication given whatsoever. Apparently babies always get over bronchiolitis but they just have to check they are getting enough oxygen in their blood supply. I will never forget 9/11 - because I was in hospital with DD and so never really got to see the full story on the news IYSWIM. I think mums and dads tend to know when something is not quite right so don't worry about professionals thinking you are being over-cautious. Seek advice as soon as you think you need it.

ledodgyDave Wed 28-Feb-07 23:01:28

twoisenoughmum that's exactly how I felt with ds he had seen an out fo hours dr 20 mins before I rang nhs direct but I just knew his breathing wasn't right it was the rib thing you can just tell funnnily enough nhs direct got a local dr to ring me back 2 mins later and it was the same one he'd seen 20 mins before and he told me to go straight to a&e .

twoisenoughmum Thu 01-Mar-07 12:35:48

How is your ds today, hairymclary?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now