Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long is a piece of string - Oral Cancer referral

(4 Posts)
GrannyHeadology Wed 15-Feb-17 11:51:40

Hello,

I appreciate that this is a bit of an unanswerable question but I'd appreciate some guidance if possible.

My mum went to her private dentist a week ago and was told she has a funny ulcer and she explained that it had been there a while. Dentist said he would send off an urgent referal.

I know this is usually a 'within 2 week' process however I am the only person that can go with my mum and need to go with her. Now I have a problem with work letting me have time off at certain dates. How long realistically will we wait until the hospital appointment?

Is the 2 weeks the time frame the dentist has to send off the referral or is my mum supposed to be offered an appointment by the end of that 2 weeks?

Tia

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 15-Feb-17 12:02:33

Are you in England or Wales? If so, there's a useful page on the CRUK website about urgent referrals.

She should have an appointment within two weeks. Occasionally it can take longer, of course.

I hope she gets an appointment soon and that it fits in with your work schedule. Will you be available at all during the next two weeks? If you could give her dates/times you can manage, the administrators are often very helpful and will try to find a convenient time for her. Some clinics only run on certain days so they may be limited by that.

All the best for your mum flowers

GrannyHeadology Wed 15-Feb-17 12:06:26

Thank you!
I'm in England so will have a look at that website.

Hopefully it will be in the next week or so then as work will not have an issue with me having time off.

Thanks again. I've got my positive head on so I'm sticking with that until someone tells me otherwise!

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 15-Feb-17 12:48:01

Fingers crossed for a convenient appointment time smile the link says 9 out of 10 people referred urgently do not have cancer. So definitely worth keeping your positive head on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now