Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What does a DVT feel like?

(10 Posts)
Hairyhat Wed 15-Feb-17 10:26:24

I've had a pulmonary embolism (blood clot in my lung) before (years ago) and I'm just wondering (slightly panicking) what a dvt in your leg feels like? I have a tightness in my calf and a throbbing pain that comes every 30 seconds or so. I've had a cocodamol and an anti inflammatory but nothing is taking the pain away. I just woke up with it this morning. No injury or over exercise or anything.
So has anyone had a dvt and what was the pain like?

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 15-Feb-17 12:09:56

In some cases, there may be no symptoms of DVT. If symptoms do occur they can include:
pain, swelling and tenderness in one of your legs (usually your calf)
a heavy ache in the affected area
warm skin in the area of the clot
red skin, particularly at the back of your leg below the knee

DVT usually (although not always) affects one leg. The pain may be worse when you bend your foot upward towards your knee.

From NHS website

I hope the pain has eased by now, but if not I think I'd try and get a same day GP appointment. If you get breathlessness or chest pain, seek urgent medical attention. That's the advice in the NHS link.

SeaShores Wed 15-Feb-17 13:01:23

GP or A&E today.

Hairyhat Wed 15-Feb-17 14:33:27

Thank you

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Wed 15-Feb-17 15:39:05

How are you Hairyhat?

Hairyhat Wed 15-Feb-17 16:01:41

Well I'm fine really. The pain is still there but not very bad. Thanks for asking. I will go to the docs in the morning if it hasn't cleared up. I'm kinda ruling out a DVT now thanks to the help of you guys. It's fine to walk on. My legs are the same size and there's no hotness where it hurts. I'm thinking I overreacted this morning. Thank you for your help. I'll update tomorrow.

Thinkingblonde Wed 15-Feb-17 16:15:12

My husband had a DVT in his leg, he showed none of the indicators for getting one: he has never smoked, no long haul flights, he is quite fit and active so it came out of the blue.
One Thursday morning he said his right leg ached but there wasn't any tenderness or swelling.
On the Saturday he was limping slightly so he said he'd wait until Monday to see our GP. On the Sunday he could hardly walk down stairs, I told him I was worried and thought he should ring out of hours service for an appt which he did, the doctor there sent him straight to the assessment ward at our hospital by passing hours of waiting in A&E.
He was given blood tests and a scan which showed a clot behind his right knee.

Twopeapods Wed 15-Feb-17 23:09:19

I've had a PE before when pregnant.
6 months after I had a heavy calf very painful, and was hot. But it was thrombolotis apparantly. It subsided after about a week, but the GP told me to keep a close eye for swelling.

Hairyhat Thu 16-Feb-17 07:45:08

Pain has gone. Thanks everyone for your help. Good old mumsnet saving the NHS money smile

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Thu 16-Feb-17 11:20:57

Phew smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now