Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain in heel

(21 Posts)
Happybee09 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:31:10

For the past month or so I've had a pain in my heel, occasionally shooting pains but mostly a pain when I put weight on it, it's difficult to walk when I first get up in the morning and it's there for most of the day although it does ease off through the day but starts to ache at the end of the day.
I've put on a bit of weight over the past few months (about a stone and half overweight) so could it just be the pressure from the extra weight?
I want to start exercising but I'm worried all the jumping about will make my heel worse.

Happybee09 Wed 15-Feb-17 08:33:54

Anyone?

esiotrot2015 Wed 15-Feb-17 08:37:07

Im not sure of the spelling but there's something called fashiplantitis (?)
That is a condition that affects the heel, very painful

stationtostation Wed 15-Feb-17 08:39:18

Sounds like plantar fasciitis, I have it and I'm waiting to see a podiatrist as I also suffer from psoriatic arthritis. But "normal" non arthritis people can get it also.
Anti inflammatory meds, like ibuprofen or your gp might give you something stronger like diclofenic/naproxen for a short course if it's really sore.
Google can rolling exercises,which help. Also the types of shoes you wear may be contributing.

Newbluetattoo Wed 15-Feb-17 08:39:48

It sounds like plantar fasciitis, I get it from time to time, it can be really sore. Especially bad in the morning on getting out of bed. Ive found wearing totally flat shoes exacerbates it, something with a more supportive sole helps. Also regularly stretching out the backs of my legs & hips when I've been out walking, and practicing yoga both help.

Jenbob13 Wed 15-Feb-17 08:40:30

Hello! It sounds to me like you have Plantar Fasciitis, with you saying the pain is usually more severe at the beginning of the day and eases towards the end. Its nothing to worry about and can clear up on its own however if its giving you a lot of grief then you can treat it via steroid injections, special insoles (Clarks actually make special Plantar insoles) etc. Make an appointment to see your GP.

NiktheGreek Wed 15-Feb-17 08:42:46

Plantar Fasciitis. It's very common. You need to do exercises that stretch your calf muscle and the foot so flexing your foot back and forwards. Calf stretches, till your foot over a water bottle, take ibuprofen, rest it as much as possible. It can take months to get better so keep at it with all the exercises. Mine took a few months but I know that it can sometimes take a lot longer.

NiktheGreek Wed 15-Feb-17 08:44:56

Sorry forgot to say yes flat shows definitely makes it worse, wedges I found to be the best but not high ones. Also heel supports help.

WitchDancer Wed 15-Feb-17 08:45:09

I've got it too. One thing I felt really helped was to change shoes. I tried the sketchers shoes with memory foam insoles and they were fab!

Dashie Wed 15-Feb-17 08:54:58

I agree, plantar fasciitis. There's a very good information sheet on the patient.uk website, including exercises. Try doing these, can rolling as mentioned up thread, and ibuprofen three times a day for 2 weeks if you can safely take it.
It also talks about the sort of footwear you should use (or avoid).
If you're still getting problems, speak to your GP about stronger anti-inflammatories. Sometimes a steroid injection helps, although it is painful!

Karen2King Wed 15-Feb-17 10:52:10

I suffer from this too and have found that the shoes you wear make all the difference, I got the most comfortable shoes ever from a place called Meanfeet (they are online at www.meanmeat.com) I know they are not the most attractive and certainly they are not the cheapest but I am on my feet all day and so need shoes that are comfortable rather than fashionable. Hope this is of use to you ladies.

MrsMarigold Wed 15-Feb-17 10:57:25

My mother had something she called a heel spur, a sort of bone growth on her heel, she did some work with a ping pong ball and it seemed to go.

slug Wed 15-Feb-17 11:45:55

MsMarigold, wasn't it a heel spur that kept Donald Trump out of Vietnam (multiple times)?

MrsMarigold Wed 15-Feb-17 15:08:54

Yes slug - silly wimp should've used a ping pong ball!

Happybee09 Wed 15-Feb-17 16:05:53

Thanks everyone, I wear flats shoes mostly as I walk everywhere, mostly converse type trainers but I am always barefoot at home and have wooden flooring so will get some comfy slippers to wear at home. Will have a go at some of the exercises later and see if it improves before I see a GP
Thank you flowers

averylongtimeago Wed 15-Feb-17 16:10:22

I have found the best things are sketchers "go walk" shoes.....They are better than the converse type as they support your feet. Since discovering switchers 3years ago I have not had another bout, I would deff recommend them.

Neolara Thu 16-Feb-17 09:39:08

Insoles can help. I use superfeet insoles. I think they stop your feet rolling inwards which is the thing that causes the pain in the first place.

holidaysaregreat Thu 16-Feb-17 10:25:05

happy I have always worn converse and ballet pumps which are I think cause of plantar fasciitis 😥 I ended up needing crocs round house to support arch and then boots with a wedge heel rather than flats. It is finally on its way out. Calf stretches good, swimming good too.

Happybee09 Thu 16-Feb-17 10:34:08

Well I wore a pair of foal flip flops all around the house yesterday and wore my Nkie roshe trainers while out and I woke up to no pain this morning grin
Will keep doing the exercises though to keep the pain at bay.
Thank you for all the advice star

holidaysaregreat Thu 16-Feb-17 12:46:13

I wore birkenstocks all summer. Fingers crossed it won't carry on too long

FinallyHere Thu 16-Feb-17 13:14:54

The thing about flat shoes seeming to contribute to plantar fasciitis is that any heel will allow your calf (and foot) muscles to shorten, ie stretch less, providing temporary relief from the discomfort. Likewise, it tends to be worse in the morning because your legs relax when you sleep, so that your foot will be slightly pointing (rather than the right angle required for walking) overnight. The early morning pain reflects the stretch so your foot can be a a right angle to your legs again.

Calf stretches and all the exercises mentioned upthread really are the best way forward for a full recovery. Heels can provide temporary relief but if you wear them all the time, your calf muscles will never develop the stretch they really need. All the best

https://nutritiousmovement.com/product/every-womans-guide-to-foot-pain-relief/.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now