Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe earache in 10 year old DD

(8 Posts)
shakeyospeare Tue 14-Feb-17 19:48:50

DD is complaining of earache and sore throat - she's quiet, pale, on verge of tears. Calpol not helped - is it worth an OOH appointment or can she have adult paracetamol and emergency appointment at GP tomorrow?
I never know with earache 🙁

shakeyospeare Tue 14-Feb-17 20:27:42

Anyone? Her temp is 38.1 orally on a digital thermometer.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Tue 14-Feb-17 20:30:58

She may be heading for a perforated eardrum. Check on NHS choices but I think they say there's not a huge amount that can be done. My DD had ABs but most ear infections heal themselves.

loveisagirlnameddaisy Tue 14-Feb-17 20:31:57

And the pain will be very bad but that's to be expected. My DD was screaming the house down at 1am until the eardrum burst.

Neverenoughspoons Tue 14-Feb-17 20:33:18

Ibuprofen should help. You can alternate it with the Calpol every 3 hours. I would also ring NHS direct for advice. Hope she feels better soon, earache is awful!

shakeyospeare Tue 14-Feb-17 20:33:53

Ah, this was my worry. If Calpol isn't touching the pain, do you think 1 paracetamol might help? Thank you 😊

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 14-Feb-17 20:35:35

I used to get pharyngitis a lot, the earache was deferred pain, not the ears actually being infected. Possibly tonsilitis? Get an appointment I would think.

shakeyospeare Tue 14-Feb-17 20:37:21

The baby had a perforated ear last year and I remember how bad it was until it popped and gunk came out confused
Ibuprofen is a good idea, I'll try that and see how she goes, might ring 111 if no improvement afterwards. She's not eating or drinking, and she's hardly said a word, which is highly unlike her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now