Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Heart palpitations before and during period

(6 Posts)
gandalf456 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:40:43

I have been having this for years. i suppose, if it were serious, I'd have dropped down dead by now.

However, I find that there are a few days per month that I just cannot function. I feel so fatigued that, if I try to do anything (including getting up and making myself a drink), my heart starts hammering and I feel lightheaded. I have tried supplements, change in diet, getting more sleep, avoiding alcohol, which has helped a bit.

Once my period is over, I get a new burst of energy. I've had several blood tests, which have come back normal. Iron was borderline once but seems to be OK now.

The GP has suggested the Pill or Minera coil (I have a copper one) but, tbh, I still had this when I was on the Pill. I;m 46 if that is relevant and I am really fed up with it now because, this week, I've had to cancel pretty much everything and lie on the sofa.

Mummytron Tue 14-Feb-17 19:48:12

I'm not doctor but I've had palpitations which have been cyclical, before I'm due on and around ovulation. Has the gp done an ecg? That might put your mind at rest. X

mycavitiesareempty Tue 14-Feb-17 19:55:30

I get ghis. It's much worse when I've had alcohol or am anaemic. GP not very interested, so I've decided I'm just really sensitive to hormonal fluctuations. Which fits as I also get hideous PMT and had PND twice as well.

CoperCabana Tue 14-Feb-17 19:57:23

Cyclical palpitations are normal as I understand it (in fact I double checked that at my last heart check up as I have a heart condition). I am the same age as you and am experiencing very low energy days. In fact yesterday, I was working from home and just struggled to do anything. Today I could have happily stayed in bed all day long but unfortunately builders in the house and annoying kids prevented this. I am assuming pesky hormones.

mycavitiesareempty Tue 14-Feb-17 19:57:40

Have to say though that I don't generally get a racing pulse or the fatigue you describe. Just palpitations, insomnia and a godawful mood.

gandalf456 Tue 14-Feb-17 22:03:15

Well it's good to know it's probably not serious but it's driving me nuts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now