Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Whooping Cough / Pertussis

(2 Posts)
GoldenGlobe Tue 14-Feb-17 16:27:30

I clearly have a case of whooping cough. It is quite scary. I have classic symptoms including the whooping and gasping for air.

I have been to the doctor 3 times now explaining in detail my symptoms. I am vomiting after the coughing fits, urinary incontinence (not a usual problem), can't eat for triggering coughing fits, can't sleep due to coughing worse at night, my voice is nearly gone from the violent coughing, my blood vessels in my face and eyes are broken from the coughing.

Today sitting in the waiting room of the hospital I had a coughing fit, a nurse asked me if I had Pertussis and needed to be put into a separate room. The doctor then said it was "just a virus"

I am worried about spreading it and also about not getting the correct diagnosis for reporting purposes. Should I keep pressing the doctor for the correct diagnosis or does it not matter?

I also have the very bad episodes at night where I cannot breathe because the fit is so long, it is very scary. The one doctor told me to call an ambulance but if you know Pertussis then you know that you are essentially fine in between the coughing fits. My lungs are clear as consistent with Pertussis and I've no fever.

Any advice appreciated.

GoldenGlobe Tue 14-Feb-17 17:03:57

Anyone? Heeeeelp.

<coughing> sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now