Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ridiculously painful big toe - any chiropodists around?

(4 Posts)
user1485196412 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:17:10

Does anyone know anything about feet?!I feel stupid going to the GP as my big toe looks fine- maybe a bit swollen but nothing to write home about. Over the last month or so it's been getting more painful. At the start it was like a weird burning sensation when I put a sock or shoe on. Now it is fine to walk and even run on- but if I bend it down by accident or my toddler jumps on it causes the most excruciating pain! Any ideas? It actually feels like there's a shard if glass in my toe when it happens! I feel like it would be wasting a doctors time to take up an appointment with a sore toe!

PossumInAPearTree Tue 14-Feb-17 16:17:54

Gout?

user1485196412 Tue 14-Feb-17 16:21:22

I did wonder (my husband thinks it's hilarious calling me 'gouty') - but it's not all the time. Could it still be gout? The things I read about gout said people couldn't even bear the bed cover on it and it's not bad with things like that. Also it looks fine...

salsamad Tue 14-Feb-17 16:24:43

Arthritis? Depends on how old you are though. I've had recurring pain in my big toe joint with no apparent signs of anything wrong - no swelling and the nail was fine and not in-growing etc.
My GP was unsure if it was start of bunion or arthritis. I was xrayed but it showed nothing. I can still run with no issues but still get pain in it occasionally. No bunion has developed but certain shoes make it ache/painful and if I overstretch or my feet are cold.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now