Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

V low heart rate

(11 Posts)
F1nbarSaunders Tue 14-Feb-17 11:33:00

Hello

Recent NC but have been on MN for many years.

So as not to drip I do have some health anxiety focused mainly around my heart but not limited to it, also have benign ventricular tachycardia diagnosed 9yrs ago which hasn't needed any treatment just an echo every 3yrs to check all ok.

Anyway bought a heart rate finger monitor thing a while ago & discovered I have a low heart rate- often around 60 or so at rest- I am mid forties, slightly overweight and not at all fit- no exercise as such so low in that context. But recently it has been often in low fifties 51-55 this morning at rest. Does this warrant a visit to a gp?

I have no chest pain or shortness of breath. When moving around it is a more normal 60-80, just low at rest.
Usually avoid the gp in spite of health anxiety and don't want to appear a fool - any thoughts much appreciated- thanks

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Tue 14-Feb-17 11:48:50

Mine has always been low when resting, normally around 52bpm.

F1nbarSaunders Tue 14-Feb-17 13:00:11

Thanks for replying, always helps to know that there are people for whom it's normal!

MollyHuaCha Tue 14-Feb-17 15:56:58

My resting heart beat is around 58. I am very unfit too... blush

slug Tue 14-Feb-17 16:15:11

I'm 51, a size 16-18 (so not what you might call svelte) and my resting heart rate is is generally in the mid to low 50s.

I wouldn't call myself particularly fit, though at one point, many years ago I was. I sometimes wonder if my low heart rate is a hangover from that time. Certainly it does not seem to bother my doctors.

MajorClanger123 Tue 14-Feb-17 17:47:35

My resting is around 60, often lower. I'm 38 and a gym goer (but by no means 'fit' fit!). All 3 pregnancies I've fainted in early days and I do get a dizzy feeling sometimes if I get up too quickly. Plus hot weather really affects me. All due to low resting rate I believe. I find the key is to stay thoroughly hydrated - if I don't drink enough water I have dizzy spells.

Tanfastic Tue 14-Feb-17 19:27:31

If it helps I'm 43, hardly exercise, am slightly overweight and my resting heart rate is usually about 56bpm. Sometimes it's lower. I just assumed I was lucky.

MayhemandMadness01 Tue 14-Feb-17 19:38:46

I'm 43, pretty much no exercise, very overweight etc. I wear a fitbit which has registered a low resting heart rate and down to 47 when asleep. Another monitor has recorded similar as well.

I was diagnosed with low folate levels which was giving me anxiety like symptoms and palpitations after going to GP.

F1nbarSaunders Tue 14-Feb-17 19:57:22

Seems like there are plenty of us not so fit forty somethings with low heart rate- dh was calling me a freak (said jokingly just in case this turns into a LTB thread grin)

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, probably time for me to bin the oximeter & just get on with things.

F1nbarSaunders Tue 14-Feb-17 19:59:38

Mayhem- had a quick google on low folate symptoms- some things on there I can relate to but such a bug cross over with anxiety symptoms too- it's where I get stuck- anxiety or health problem goes round & round my head.

BlueSofaPinkLamp Sat 18-Feb-17 08:59:56

That seems fine to me! I don't think it's massively low so I'd not worry about it.

I have a Fitbit and my resting HR is usually low 40s, has gone down to 33 overnight before! I'm 32 and quite fit though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now