Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dull, burning ache in right shoulder

(9 Posts)
DavetheCat2001 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:08:22

I have had this for about a week or so now, and it's starting to really get me down. It's like a constant background dull ache in the top of my shoulder, radiating down my arm about halfway.

I do a fair bit of running and some arm workouts with hand weights, so thought initially that I may have pulled something, or slept on it in an awkward way, but it just doesn't seem to be going away, and I'm relying on Neurofen more than I would like at the moment to try and manage it.

It's particularly hard to get comfortable at night, and lying on that side is a no no.

Does it sound like it could be a frozen shoulder?

I have emailed a local osteopath to see if I can get a consultation, but just wondered in the meantime if anyone here had had something similar/could offer some words of wisdom?

Doublemint Mon 13-Feb-17 20:12:08

No real idea but I've heard that shoulder tip pain (if that's where it is) can be a symptom of ectopic pregnancy- something to do with nerves getting pressed and it having a knock on effect on the nerve in your shoulder tip.

It probably isn't that but one shoulder hurting and not the other is a bit random if you've been exercising normally.

DavetheCat2001 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:37:24

I know for sure I'm not pregnant, so thankfully not that.

I guess I'll have to wait and see what the osteo says, just fed up with it as it is constantly there in the background.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 13-Feb-17 20:40:05

I'd see a physio in preference to an osteopath. Strength and conditioning exercises will probably alleviate it.

maitaimojito Mon 13-Feb-17 20:42:14

It sounds like the pain I had when I overstretched a nerve in the top of my arm. 5 or 6 physio sessions plus exercises they gave me sorted it out.

DavetheCat2001 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:05:42

Thanks guys x

Finola1step Mon 13-Feb-17 23:14:16

I agree that it sounds like nerve pain. I sustained a minor neck injury but the swelling trapped and bruised the radial nerve. Pain radiated from the shoulder down the tricep, into the elbow and then into the thumb and forefinger.

Your symptoms sound like a stretching or irritation of the radial nerve. I would rest it until you've had it checked by a physio.

marriednotdead Mon 13-Feb-17 23:30:21

Really hoping you haven't got a shoulder impingement, Dr Google will give you an idea of how to check. Mine is driving me to bloody distraction, especially as it is aggravated by laying/resting...

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 13-Feb-17 23:45:11

Married, I recognize you from the swimming thread; I meant to get back to you but forgot - sorry.
A lot of people have found relief by using the work of Dr John Sarno - including several mners. Others find it all too woo, but you can decide for yoursslf if you feel like investigating. There's a forum called TMS Wiki, again if you feel like looking.
I find huge relief from weight training, but it's all fallen apart since having my second cold since Christmas and not getting to the gym much. At least I know that relief can come though, which even makes bad days more bearable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now