Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ovarian 'tumour', worried for sister

(5 Posts)
Snugglepalace Mon 13-Feb-17 12:52:01

My Dsis had a scan a few weeks ago then an appointment came through for today at the gynaecology oncology which has was a shock as nothing was mentioned previously. Anyhow, at the appointment today they have told her she has a 'tumour' on her ovary, will need a cat scan and the 'tumour' removed through keyhole surgery and failing that a full hysterectomy. Obviously, I'm worried for her, they have said hopefully its benign but why do they keep calling it a tumour?!

LowDudgeon Mon 13-Feb-17 12:55:17

Tumours can be benign or malignant. It's just the medical word for a growth. Fingers crossed that it is benign flowers

Snugglepalace Mon 13-Feb-17 12:57:41

Thanks low, really hope so!

IronWoman Mon 13-Feb-17 17:29:43

Snuggle, my Dsis was told the same thing a few weeks ago. She went back in for a scan and they found it had gone by itself.
It was 9cm so quite large, but luckily it went or she would have needed keyhole surgery where i was told the surgeon said they'd deflate the growth and then pull it out the keyhole.
She'd previously had a CA125 test which is for cancer and although it was raised at 41, it was luckily nowhere high enough to cause concern.
I hope your Dsis is ok and it disappears like my Dsis's. x

TheCustomaryMethod Mon 13-Feb-17 17:43:54

I panicked when a consultant referred to a 'tumour' on my ovary, but it wasn't malignant - just a complex cyst.

I do hope your sister is OK and won't need further surgery once the growth is removed flowers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now