Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is thyroid a possibility?

(11 Posts)
Tweedledumb0 Mon 13-Feb-17 11:14:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tweedledumb0 Mon 13-Feb-17 12:10:20

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Mon 13-Feb-17 12:12:17

It's worth a check anyway I should think x

Cwtchythings Mon 13-Feb-17 12:14:12

I'd mention your symptoms to your GP, it's just a quick blood test. Maybe test for iron levels too.

Tweedledumb0 Mon 13-Feb-17 12:54:38

helzapoppin2 Mon 13-Feb-17 18:18:00

You can ask for a thyroid test, it's not unreasonable. Yours may be on a downward slide so maybe ask again for another in a year and compare the results. Mine was well and truly defunct, but I still didn't feel really bad. It's a fairly common complaint if you are female and over forty, but if you are hypothyroid, you do need thyroxine to function fully.

Tweedledumb0 Mon 13-Feb-17 20:03:33

ElderDruid Tue 14-Feb-17 08:42:05

Ive got an underactive thyroid & pretty much the same as you but I found out by accident, I now take thyroxine, but even with medication it's hard to shift the weight.

NattyBatty Tue 14-Feb-17 08:45:26

From what you've said it could be either of your two suggestions (or something else entirely, tbh). I would always recommend seeing your GP if you think something is up, though. It's better to get checked out and get the all clear than to leave it and miss something serious.

FabulousUsername Tue 14-Feb-17 10:51:47

Tweedle-- I had strange 'scaly' patches under my eyes for several years, GP couldn't suggest anything but cortisone cream which didn't help. I also had what I thought was impending arthritis, used to have to get up carefully and slowly out of chairs because my hips/knees/ankles were hurting-- GP said to do pilates to strengthen muscles (I always did anyway) which is a good idea but it didn't cure me, so to speak. This was over about 5 years in my 40s when. Finally did a TSH test which I had to request. Thyroid levels were tested as borderline, I suffered on for a year...fast forward to now--since starting thyroxine 8 months ago I have no leg pain whatsoever and I can wear eye makeup again because the scaly patches have all but disappeared. My hair, which I now realise had been thinning, is looking great. I won't mention weight as it hasn't budged but that's probably because I was hoping it would magically fall off.

What I am trying to say is definitely to get tested, it is a simple blood test. Of course it might be something else, or nothing, or just wear and tear but better to rule it out.

GP never suggested low thyroid and I kept going in with a range of what turned out to be symptoms. If your results are borderline then don't take that as a 'no'-- I suffered longer than I should have because I thought I could deal with myself. I know I get a bit evangelical but I truly feel great now in my early 50s when I was attributing my downhill slide in my lat 40s to inevitable ageing. Good luck!

Tweedledumb0 Tue 14-Feb-17 15:43:07

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now