Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dermatology See and treat clinic for a mole. What happens??

(8 Posts)
UnicornPiss Mon 13-Feb-17 10:32:23

Just wondering if anyone else has been and can let me know what I'm likely to expect. I have an appointment Thursday for a dermatology see and treat clinic for a mole my GP wants checked out. Does this mean they could be cutting it out?? Am I likely to be there for several hours?? What are they likely to do to me?? grin

notanothernamechangebabes Mon 13-Feb-17 10:35:52

I went a few weeks back. Mole changed while I was pregnant. In and out in 5 mins. Dermatologist Looked at mole using dermascope. Looked at the moles around it. Said all looked fine - he could see changes but looked non cancerous - please use factor 30, please come back if suddenly changes massively again, or see other miles behaving oddly. Good luck!!!

Bluebell66 Mon 13-Feb-17 10:41:07

Unicorn - I went a few years ago for a suspicious mole on the inside of my knee. They surgically removed it there and then, turned out to be a melanoma, caught just in time before it had spread. I now have an appointment on Thursday to see the doctor about another mole I'm concerned about. Good luck, at least you're getting it looked at.

UnicornPiss Mon 13-Feb-17 11:34:05

Thank you both. If you don't mind me asking bluebell how long roughly did it take? I'm not telling my dc where I'm going as don't want them panicking about anything, they're fairly used to DP going to hospital but tend to worry if I do anything out of the ordinary 🙈

Bluebell66 Mon 13-Feb-17 12:33:15

Of course Unicorn, I think I was there between two and three hours, it was a while as I was seen then had to wait to have the procedure performed to remove the mole. Good luck.

LuluJakey1 Mon 13-Feb-17 21:04:39

I have been a couple of times. One was looked at under a microscope thng and I w told it was nothing, the other was removed and came back as nothing. I was there a couple of hours each time- big queues.

Told am too pale to sit in the sun not covered up, even with factor 50.

Witchend Tue 14-Feb-17 00:20:57

I've been once.
Lovely chap diagnosed
"Molus totalus normalus" (and wrote that on the discharge letter)

He looked carefully at it through a sort of stamp collectors eyepiece. He asked if I'd any others to check while I was there.

UnicornPiss Wed 15-Feb-17 19:41:38

Thank you!! not only have you helped relieve some of the anxiety about what they are likely to do but also helped as I had horrible visions of being there literally all day and possibly evening grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now