Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

These things must be related, surely?

(1 Post)
Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 12-Feb-17 20:15:06

Any ENT experts about? Sorry this is long ...

Over the past 16 years I've had three separate episodes of very similar symptoms but have been given different explanations (and treatment) each time and I'm puzzled, and a little bit worried.

In 2000, a couple of days after a transatlantic flight my right ear felt blocked as if it hadn't 'popped' properly after takeoff and landing. My hearing was muffled but I didn't think much of it until a couple of days later when I started getting very dizzy. The doctor I saw told me I had benign positional vertigo caused by an ear infection. After a few weeks of feeling seasick it gradually subsided although my balance has been a bit 'off' ever since.

In 2007 i started feeling like my right ear was blocked again and I couldn't hear - I assumed it was wax but the nurse at my GP practice said there was nothing there and I'd need to see the GP for a referral to the ENT clinic. I didn't get round to seeing the GP as life got in the way but the following month I suddenly felt very dizzy while driving, managed to pull over and then collapsed with acute vertigo and vomiting which lasted for 24 hours. By this point I couldn't hear anything at all out of that ear. After another, shorter attack a couple of weeks later and the onset of tinnitus I was referred to an ENT consultant who diagnosed early onset menieres. After about a year the tinnitus subsided to manageable levels and my hearing started to come back but not fully.

Fast forward to 4 weeks ago when I suddenly went almost completely deaf in the right ear again, with deafeningly loud tinnitus and dizziness. This time round the ENT consultant says it's sudden sensorineural hearing loss and has put me on high dose steroids, which so far haven't done anything.

Now I'm not a doctor, but it seems to be too much of a coincidence that I've had three completely separate problems with my ear/hearing which happen to produce almost identical symptoms but which aren't relatedconfused - can anyone think of anything which might explain all this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now