Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Magnesium, a miracle cure for palpitations?

(8 Posts)
jimjimjamming Sun 12-Feb-17 17:12:47

I've been getting galloping palpitations for the past month. Dreadful. I put it down to the stress + perimenopause but my GP wants a cardiologist to check me over. My normal 20mg of Propanol, prescribed for a minor arrhythmia, was not doing a thing. However, I found a package of long forgotten Magnesium 150mg + vitamin B6 and popped a tablet. The palpitations disappeared completely within a couple of hours! I have been taking two a day & feel so much more comfortable. Has anyone else had such an immediate relief from palpitations by taking magnesium? Will this last? Any long term issues?

hairymuffet Sun 12-Feb-17 22:21:58

Maybe I should try it.
I have ventricular ectopics and refused propanol years ago, but this past few weeks have been horrible.
I'm fine when sitting down, but when I stand up I feel dizzy, breathless.
And I am tired beyond tiredness.

jimjimjamming Mon 13-Feb-17 03:20:51

Hairymuffet, I found 20mg Propanol very helpful for my ectopic arrhythmia. Took it for two years & it evened out the palpitations with no side effects. Until recently when they increased dramatically & a double dose would not touch them. The magnesium worked wonders almost instantaneously. I'm amazed, really. Waiting to see the GP / cardiologist to discuss further but for now, I'm feeling great again. Last week I was at my dd's sports day. Just watching a four year old try to throw a bean bag made my heart gallop! confused A few days after starting magnesium, I had a near-miss in the car and it hardly fluttered hmmgrin

lizzieoak Mon 13-Feb-17 03:28:56

It's certainly recommended for migraines (magnesium I mean). It's been great for me in that regard.

user1486902971 Mon 13-Feb-17 05:44:46

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

olympicsrock Mon 13-Feb-17 06:07:43

I am a doctor. One of the causes of palpitations is atrial fibrillation. This can be caused by low magnesium or potassium. However there are many other more common causes. You need to have blood tests to find out if your electrolyte levels are abnormal. Check the packet for tomorrow the safe maximum limit.

F1nbarSaunders Mon 13-Feb-17 07:06:56

I have benign ventricular tachycardia and used to get lots of runs of irregular beats/palpitations etc. A couple of years ago I started to eat a banana every day (potassium) and also take a multi vitamin with magnesium in it (only 25%RDA though). Since then I hardly ever get them, or at least don't notice them. Such a relief to find something that makes a difference isn't it!

user1484226561 Mon 13-Feb-17 07:10:14

...only if the palipatations are caused by magnesium deficiency, and you don't know they are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now