Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

abdo pain - uti, post c-section pain or just how periods are? can anyone help?

(8 Posts)
olivo Wed 28-Feb-07 11:36:22

I'll apologise now for waffling but wondering if anyone can help? I have had pain in my abdomen since monday night. i started my period on mon, my second since havingdd by em c-section 6 months ago. the pain is very low on my left side, quite near my hip bone, feels tender and bruised, with the occasional shooting pain.
went to the GP this morning, he thought it might be a UTI but wee clear and no other UTI symptoms. he then said it could be bowel related - I do get IBS but this is in a different place, or it could be just how my periods are - i have only had one other about 6 weeks ago and previous to having dd was on the pill for years and years so havent had a 'real' period for years. he also said it could be to do with c-section scarring though it was unlikely.
so i guess what i'm trying to ask, in my own long-winded way, is has anyone else had this problem and what can i do? he said take paracetamol( which i have and it doesnt help) and go back if any other symptoms develop. we have to pay for the doctors here so am reluctant to visit another. It is really hurting and I'm fed up. If it is period related, so i have to put up and shut up?

LieselVentouse Wed 28-Feb-07 12:26:50

I would get it checked out. I did have funny sensations in that area for about a year after but it was mainly numbness.

olivo Wed 28-Feb-07 13:05:33

thanks liesel - not sure who else can check it out if the GP says its nothing much.

LieselVentouse Wed 28-Feb-07 13:36:21

Sorry didnt see that bit. I wouldnt worry about it then.

grannycrackers Wed 28-Feb-07 13:59:10

hi olivo. i've never had anything like this even after cs, and i don't know what it could be, but sometimes when i've been to the gp and the problem has not resolved i've phoned the surgery and asked for him to phone me. then i've assked for another visit - not charged- or to be referred. it's awkward here 'though, isn't it. soory, not much help

olivo Wed 28-Feb-07 14:04:48

thanks grannyc. not my usual doctor and i found him a bit hard work - wondered about asking my usual one from the smae practice to call me.
i'm not particualrly worried it's something bad but IT HURTS!!

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 28-Feb-07 14:20:54

I would actually ask them about endometriosis as this can cause pain like this along with very painful periods.

IBS can also be mistaken for endo as a person can get intestinal endometriosis. Some cases of endometriosis are misdiagnosed as IBS.

I would therefore ask for a referral to a gynae to have this problem further investigated. Sounds like the GP has not much idea.

olivo Wed 28-Feb-07 17:18:44

thanks attila - i didnt know that. i think i will have to make an appt with my own doctor and see if she will do that. i did feel the guy i saw today was a bit dismissive but maybe i was too vague about the symptoms - dont really have any except the pain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: