Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Severe pain post wisdom tooth extraction

(59 Posts)
HCantThinkOfAUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 13:52:43

Had it removed fri, still in horrendous pain, been doing the salt water etc.
Tmi probably - but there was white bits in the wound so I scraped them out and now it smells/tastes awful blush
A friend mentioned dry socket but it's only been 2 days? Should I watch and wait?

Hawkmoth Sun 12-Feb-17 14:29:25

Emergency dentist. Dry socket is possible, especially if you've dislodged stuff from the hole.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 12-Feb-17 14:31:57

My DH is a dentist. Keep going with the salt water. Get an app with the emergency dentist. Call the general NHS number, they will triage you. Scraping it yourself could have introduced infection/interrupted the healing so try not to touch it again now and dentist will sort it.

bear

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sun 12-Feb-17 14:32:08

Not a bear! flowers

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 15:59:12

Oops I won't touch it again blush
No appts until tomorrow, and no transport to get to it so don't know what to do 😞 Tuesday is the earliest I can get a lift (rural area)

BhajiAllTheWay Sun 12-Feb-17 21:41:38

Does sound like dry socket. Very painful.My dentist packed mine with oil of cloves which looked like shreds of tobacco and tasted strange.But it worked.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 21:53:47

Rang OOH dentist and they said to go to A&E because of the swelling and given me a number for a dentist tomorrow, not gone to A&E as I've plenty of painkillers home.
What's the treatment for dry socket?

SorrelSoup Sun 12-Feb-17 21:58:14

I've got it now so do feel your pain. I knew my extraction wasn't right the next day. The dentist will clean it and pack it which may hurt a bit but ultimately will feel great. You'll probably get amoxicillin. Alternative ibuprofen and paracetamol. There's nothing that relieves the pain until it's packed. An ice pack did work wonders. Get there straight in the morning.

SorrelSoup Sun 12-Feb-17 21:58:53

*alternate

SorrelSoup Sun 12-Feb-17 21:59:55

I hate white stuff, apparently it's bits of gum. I thought it was bone. It's part of the healing process.

SorrelSoup Sun 12-Feb-17 22:00:13

*had

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 22:00:45

Ouch Sorrel sad been taking ibuprofen but I'm not meant too.
Did they give any anesthetic?

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 22:01:36

I've been picking the White stuff blush stinks and tastes disgusting in my mouth

teacher54321 Sun 12-Feb-17 22:02:58

Sounds like dry socket to me. (Had a horrible extraction 10 days ago and did a lot of late night anxious 'dr google' diagnosis) get yourself to the dentist tomorrow. Can you beg or borrow a lift from someone?

SorrelSoup Sun 12-Feb-17 22:06:09

You can have it but I wouldn't bother. It takes only a minute. Just grip something hard!! They flush it and pack it. Sometimes you need to get it repacked if it starts to hurt again. Mines lasted since Friday.

SorrelSoup Mon 13-Feb-17 05:14:39

How are you doing? Mine woke me up at 4.30. Looks like it needs repacking. Hopefully they can get me in today. I'm really chuffed it lasted me the weekend.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Mon 13-Feb-17 07:49:48

Ouch Sorrell!
I hope you get an appt ASAP!
Mine has been agony, finally fell asleep around 4am, I know it's bad but I just keep taking a cocktail of painkillers to try & at least ease it a bit.
How are you?

SorrelSoup Mon 13-Feb-17 08:04:11

I've left a voicemail so hopefully they can schedule me in before they even open. I don't think I'll bother with the painkillers as I really don't think they make any difference!

TwatteryFlowers Mon 13-Feb-17 08:05:02

Hope you manage to get out sorted today op. flowers

I had dry socket after a wisdom tooth removal a few years ago. I didn't touch it or fiddle with it at all either. The pain was horrendous - worse than anything else I've ever experienced (apart from perhaps gallbladder pain). My mouth smelled like something had crawled in there and died. The dentist packed it (the packing stuff tastes foul) and it was much better.

When it's packed, leave it alone. I think it should stay in for a few weeks and eventually come out on its own when it's almost healed.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Mon 13-Feb-17 09:22:08

Fingers crossed Sorrell they get you in ASAP.
Twattery - I agree with the pain, I'd scale it as bad as gallbladder pain, except morphine helped that, nothing's touching this!
Appt 2:15pm, getting taxi, I'll have to bring DC with me but I'm not waiting any longer with this pain, don't think I can handle another day!

SorrelSoup Mon 13-Feb-17 09:39:29

Glad you've got in. You will have relief by tonight. It might be a bit sore initially but then it will be like it never happened. You might have to go back though. I'm going in a few hours. Fingers crossed!

HCantThinkOfAUsername Mon 13-Feb-17 10:24:07

I hope so, I'm sat here in floods of tears holding a pack of frozen chicken nuggets to my face blush

If I ask for some local anesthetic injected do you think they would? I can't cope with the pain much longer.

SorrelSoup Mon 13-Feb-17 10:48:04

I'm sure they will. Don't worry about that. They will do whatever it takes to make you comfortable. See if you can make appointments for Wed and Fri just in case. You don't want to go into the weekend without repacking if necessary. You're nearly there now. I know exactly what you're going through. I'm here now. Will report back.

HCantThinkOfAUsername Mon 13-Feb-17 11:21:11

Good luck flowers

SorrelSoup Mon 13-Feb-17 11:39:58

Ok so I was in the chair about a minute. No pain or even uncomfortableness this time. She wants to repack every 2 days, so I have appointments for Wed and Fri morning. It normally takes 2 weeks from extraction to heal, she told me. It was 2 weeks last time I had this 5 years ago. She didn't need to flush this time, just changed the dressing which I didn't feel. I haven't got instant relief; last time it took a few hours. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now