Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Quick Q. About prescriptions.

(10 Posts)
BlahBlahBlahEtc Sun 12-Feb-17 11:44:45

Hi, I was admitted to hospital on friday which has resulted in me being given medication which I need to take for the duration of my pregnancy. I have enough to last until thursday but being that I can't make an appointment until monday morning, getting one by thursday is a long shot.
So can I ring and get a prescription for these meds over the phone by the receptionist asking the gp (given that it's recorded in my history and the gp is the one that sent me to hospital twice) or do I absolutely have to see the doctor myself? TIA.

dementedpixie Sun 12-Feb-17 11:49:23

Maybe depends on whether the gp set it up as a repeat prescription. I'd phone and ask on monday

WitchDancer Sun 12-Feb-17 11:52:26

I would ring the surgery and ask the receptionist. In experience they'll be able to sort something out for you.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Sun 12-Feb-17 11:52:32

Hmm the medication is from the hospital. Oh well they'll just have to make room for me!

BlahBlahBlahEtc Sun 12-Feb-17 11:52:46

Thanks all smile

Spam88 Sun 12-Feb-17 12:12:34

Just give them a ring, I'm sure they'll do whatever they can to sort it out for you.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Sun 12-Feb-17 12:15:35

Thanks. I know it seems weird that I asked instead of just ringing tomorrow but one of the receptionists can be less than helpful so I was getting prepared for my answers!

TheOtherSock Sun 12-Feb-17 12:18:32

Mine will only take requests in writing, but have been happy in the past to prescribe things I've previously had (e.g. migraine medication I don't have on repeat because it takes me ages to finish a packet) if I drop a note in the repeat prescription form box.

notsohot Sun 12-Feb-17 12:24:05

would agree you need to ring and speak to receptionists.
Do you have a discharge letter from the hospital with the name and dose of medicines on it? Sometimes it takes a few days for practice to receive a copy of this letter from hospital so can help if you can show practice this so they know exactly what hospital drs want you to have.

BlahBlahBlahEtc Sun 12-Feb-17 12:35:21

Ok that's good to know thanks. I'll get the letter out now so I don't forget!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now