Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Amytriptline users

(16 Posts)
HCantThinkOfAUsername Sat 11-Feb-17 22:50:09

What time do you take it?
On a concoction of meds for lupus, take them mostly late night.
Started taking them earlier (7pm) and find it easier waking in the mornings.
I didn't realise it helps to sleep I thought I'm just a tired person.

Wondering what dose you take & what time?
On 75mg & it's for nerve pain.

daisychicken Sat 11-Feb-17 22:53:40

10mg at 6pm, no later than 7pm - I'm very sensitive to the sedation effect so higher dose or later taking knocks me out for even longer! It still makes me feel shattered on top of my usual fatigue — I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue and take it for nerve pain.

Itsjustaphase84 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:54:12

My OH took them around 8pm evening. He hadn't had them before. The side effects were awful for him. He would go to bed about 10pm.
Have u had them before?

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sat 11-Feb-17 22:56:16

I've been on them a year but always taken it 11pm but doesn't make me sleepy.
Last few nights I've taken it at 7 and get sleepy by 11pm and my fatigue isn't as bad compared to what it used to be.

Motherwithflaws Sat 11-Feb-17 22:58:36

10mg and I take it at 6-30/7pm otherwise I'm gormless in the mornings.

daisychicken Sat 11-Feb-17 23:03:00

I find that the sedation effect "hits" about 1 1/2 -2hrs after I've taken it so at 11pm it won't take effect till around 1am, are you normally asleep then? Might be why you haven't noticed it?

I've been on amitryptilline for around 6 yrs now the effect hasn't eased off in that time. But it took me a while to work out best time to take it.

BillyDaveysDaughter Sat 11-Feb-17 23:05:47

Taken 10 mg every night for about 10 years for chronic migraine...just take them when I go to bed, never had any effect on me other than to reduce the intensity of the migraines.

lazytuesday Sat 11-Feb-17 23:10:00

I take it as a sleeping pill! I was prescribed it because its safe to take whilst breastfeeding. I take 10mg a night to sleep. It helped me massively as i had anxiety due to PND which is why i wasnt sleeping. So it does certainly have a sedative effect. I take it an hour before i want to sleep. I dont really have a problem getting up in the mornings but can feel quite spaced out during the day. However for me that has been good!

AWafferthinmint Sat 11-Feb-17 23:11:06

I take it for nerve pain and usually about 6.30pm otherwise I struggle to wake up in the mornings.

PotOfYoghurt Sat 11-Feb-17 23:14:28

25mg normally, and about 8pm. 6pm if I know I have to be up earlier than usual. It's for neuralgia too.

cheesecadet Sun 12-Feb-17 10:20:24

I have lupus too.

I take 10 mg half an hour to an hour before bed. But only take it at weekends so I'm not up at the crack of dawn. If I take a higher dose I feel really drowsy the next day and have side effects for the next few weeks.

likeacrow Sun 12-Feb-17 10:30:14

10mg to help me sleep (they help me get back to sleep when I wake up) and usually take them right before I'm ready to go to sleep, so between 9-10pm usually. Although I do feel sluggish in the mornings so after reading this thread may start taking it earlier.
I'm due to give birth to my first baby imminently and have actually made an appointment to speak to the Dr about coming off it completely as if I've got a newborn baby to deal with I won't have the luxury of being able to try to get back to sleep a lot of the time and so I'll just be left feeling sluggish and sedated with a baby to deal with...
Anyone got any thoughts on this? (Not to highjack your post, sorry OP!)

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 13:49:51

Hi fellow lupie cheese
My dose (75mg) seems really high compared to everyone else :/ been offered gabapentin will look up side effects.

No your not hijacking at all, I stayed on 25mg when ds2 was born & I still woke when needed too, I think with children you never switch off! Try taking earlier and if you have a DP they can help too (even if it's just to wake you?)

cheesecadet Sun 12-Feb-17 14:51:55

Hello back!

I class my lupus to not be as severe as some. My normal lupus meds control pain mostly.

Shakey15000 Sun 12-Feb-17 15:05:21

10mg daily to help fatigue caused by multiple prolapses. I've been taking it about 10pm (bedtime) but I think I'll try taking a bit earlier. It's helped lots though

HCantThinkOfAUsername Sun 12-Feb-17 17:54:40

Id recommend taking it earlier smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now