Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Metronidazole: what to do about horrible side effects?

(13 Posts)
Tirion1649 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:43:12

Yesterday, dentist prescribed metronidazole (15 x 400 tablets, three a day) and amoxicillin (15 x 500 g tablets, three a day) to help with an infection that may be tooth or implant related. Granted, I have been in a lot of pain so thought that things would now look up.

Took 2 metronidazole tablets last night (some hours apart) plus amoxicillin. Woke up in the early hours with a massive headache that hasn't shifted. It's hell. Was very sick earlier. And face generally very achey. Everytime I even sip water or tea, am sick.

Spoke to another dentist today who said ditch the metronidazole as I haven't had problems with amoxicillin in the past. She said that the tablets should have left my system after a day - which is any minute now.

But I feel so weak (OK I haven't eaten all day), shakey, and my headache will not shift. Is there an antidote - when will it pass - is a reaction like this someting to be endured but not worry about? Thanks for any suggestions.

Idefix Sun 12-Feb-17 15:42:02

I would try and speak to dentist again. Metronidazole can make people very nauseous but I would saying that you would only be prescribed it plus amox if they felt you needed it to treat infection completely.

The symptoms you have could be because of the severity of the infection rather than thee medication.

Whilst it doesn't sound like you would be taking alcohol at the moment it is a big no no with metronidazole.

I found a heat pack soothing for aching face during a gum infection.

WhatWouldLeslieKnopeDo Sun 12-Feb-17 18:02:35

Lots of people seem to react to metronidazole. It's a nasty antibiotic, though very useful! It's nothing to worry about, just frustrating.

There's not really anything to do but wait for the effects to pass. Take painkillers for the headache. Try and eat something if you haven't already. Often not eating will make nausea worse. Try something very plain like toast or some Rich Tea biscuits.

I hope you feel better by now flowers

dementedma Sun 12-Feb-17 18:05:22

Met. is a horrible antibiotic. Whatever you do don't drink any alcohol. You will puke for days.

clementineorange Sun 12-Feb-17 18:19:57

Get a different antibiotic. There are others that will do the same without the nasty side effects. The side effect symptoms will not improve, they will likely get worse.

Bebespain Sun 12-Feb-17 20:33:54

I agree that the symptoms will not improve. I endured the nausea, headache, tiredness etc that Metronidazole gave me for over a week but when I broke out in a nasty itchy skin rash that was the final straw for me.

I would definitely ask for an alternative.

Feel better soon

donajimena Sun 12-Feb-17 20:35:43

I've never had a problem on it apart from my tongue turning black

VintagePerfumista Sun 12-Feb-17 20:39:03

It just made my stomach feel like I had bricks in it.

It sounds like you have reacted to it though- call your dentist and get something different. flowers

foresttrees2 Sun 12-Feb-17 20:40:01

I didn't get on with it, it made my skin all weird feeling so I stopped taking it.

bbcessex Sun 12-Feb-17 20:48:11

You poor thing. I've just completed a 5 day course of Metronidazole for a dental infection. . Didn't touch the pain (amoxycillin taken after has started to ease it ) but I didn't have any of the side affects you're mentioning so I would definitely get advice and ask for alternative.

Good luck. . Hope you feel better soon.

Tirion1649 Sun 12-Feb-17 21:05:06

Thank you very much, all. Just when I though that the headache was receding in the late evening yesterday, it came back and I hardly slept. Today hasn't been great - and now my neck as well as my head hurts. I'm wary about continuing the Amoxi but I will return to it. That clearly wasn't the cause of all this pain and sleeplessness.

Went to a pharmacist today to hand over the Metron so they could be disposed of safely. She said that it could be 3 - 4 days until the two 400 mg have left my system. Whatwoud - thanks, I;ve eaten a bit today and I've also taken probiotics.

I'll ask the dentist for something else as the Amoxi is unlikely to target the infection on its own. Counting the days - this is so debilitating. I'm really grateful for your comments. It's been a difficult weekend.

Davros Tue 14-Feb-17 13:02:59

Dreadful but effective stuff! No-one told me about not drinking alcohol with it. I barely wet my lips with some red wine, two days after stopping it and was violently ill. When I told the Dr he said "oh yes, we give it to alcoholics to stop them"!!!

Mumchatting Tue 14-Feb-17 21:23:00

I didn't have any side effects and it was the only antibiotic that treated the horrible tooth infection I had few years ago.
If you think you might have side effects talk to your dentist to give you something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now