Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

conjunctivitis - does ds need to see doc?

(11 Posts)
funnypeculiar Wed 28-Feb-07 08:56:48

or will the pharmacist be able to sort it out? Quick, or I'll miss the time-slot to get doc's appts!

Bellie Wed 28-Feb-07 09:00:07

depends on age - if over 2 you can get anitbac drops from boots, if under 2 probably need the doc!

funnypeculiar Wed 28-Feb-07 09:04:33

over 2 - thanks Bellie!

Bellie Wed 28-Feb-07 09:06:26

no problem - you need to ask the pharmacist - hope he gets better soon

saltire Wed 28-Feb-07 16:55:27

I know this is a silly question, but it's so long since either DS had this. Does it start with yellow stuff in corners of eyes, and does it start slowly?
Mindee 1 has woken from a sleep with yellow stuff in his eyes (this was at 3pm). I wiped it away and i have had to wipe it twice since. Can't remember if this is conjunctivitis or not

Mercy Wed 28-Feb-07 16:57:01

Saltire, are the eyes slightly red and/or sore?

saltire Wed 28-Feb-07 16:58:29

No, they don't look sore, just loads of yellow stuff gathering in the corners. He has had , almost continually since Christmas a runny nose. However one of the other CM's i spoke to told me that conjucntivitis was doing the rounds here, followed by chicken pox!

Mercy Wed 28-Feb-07 17:11:07

Oh dear!

It does sound like it to me. Both my children had it and were fine a couple of days later - me, I had to see an out of hours doctor it was so painful.

Lukewarm water and cotton wool to remove the gunge, wiping from the inner eye and outwards. Eye-drops if it doesn't improve. As I'm sure you know it can spread like wild-fire amongst young children.

Good luck!

MaeBee Wed 28-Feb-07 19:13:23

my boy had conjunctivitis and i squirted breastmilk in his eyes. i thought it was a long shot (no pun intendede! {wink},) but worth a try....that it wouldnt do any harm.
it disappeared overnight, and i was amazed. if you're breastfeeding i would say give it a try.

Olihan Wed 28-Feb-07 19:29:19

I was going to suggest breastmilk too, Maebee - cleared up dd's in a day!!

saltire Wed 28-Feb-07 22:15:02

I think i have it as well, my eyes are all gritty and itchy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now