Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena - how would I know if I'm (peri-)menopausal?

(16 Posts)
CoconutPancakes Sat 11-Feb-17 12:10:53

I had a Mirena coil fitted in 2008 or 2009 for heavy bleeding. After the first year I've not had a period at all. Only very, very occasional spotting, maybe one every couple of years. So, after 8-9 years I'm guessing the hormones must have well and truly run out. I'm now late 40s.

No obvious menopausal symptoms that I've noticed. I easily get too warm in bed at night so need to stick my legs out from under the duvet and manage now with a lighter duvet in winter but no night sweats or flushing.

Could I be peri-menopausal or have even gone through the menopause without noticing? If I go to the GP can they do any blood tests to confirm one way or the other or will they just say stick with it until I'm 52?

MyVisionsComeFromSoup Sat 11-Feb-17 12:20:49

I asked the GP the same thing when I had the implant the other year - she was very unhelpful and said "you'll know". So I'll be v interested to see what some actual knowledgeable people say.

hugoagogo Sat 11-Feb-17 20:45:51

Are you still relying on it for contraception? Because I think my gp said it would work a bit longer past 40, but not 8-9 years.
She also said if I was lucky it would mean I might not notice any menopausal symptoms. To which I cry hooray!grin

CoconutPancakes Sat 11-Feb-17 22:01:18

not needed for contraception which is why I've done nothing yet as not bleeding

MrsFinkelstein Sat 11-Feb-17 22:06:00

I work in sexual health. If you're not bleeding I would leave it in just now, with a view to having it changed if your periods start up again. If changed after the age of 45 it can be left in until after the menopause.

I would discuss it at your local sexual health/family planning clinic. I would say it unlikely you are post menopausal unless you have a family history of early menopause.

CoconutPancakes Sat 11-Feb-17 23:10:07

MrsF could there still be sufficient hormone left to suppress my period after 7 or 8 years?

I don't think I would have a replacement if I start bleeding again as it was excruciating having this one inserted. I wouldn't voluntarily go through that again!

Musicaltheatremum Sun 12-Feb-17 14:38:46

you can have your FSH levels measured and if they are > 30 on 2 separate occasions 6 weeks apart then you are menopausal.
If you needed HRT you would need the combined on as there will be no progesterone left in the IUD after all this time so you would need endometrial protection.
Had a similar case this week and emailed the sexual health team to confirm I was correct. Which I was.
If you did need contraception which people may at that age then the IUD will act as a contraceptive device. If not take it out.

Musicaltheatremum Sun 12-Feb-17 14:38:46

you can have your FSH levels measured and if they are > 30 on 2 separate occasions 6 weeks apart then you are menopausal.
If you needed HRT you would need the combined on as there will be no progesterone left in the IUD after all this time so you would need endometrial protection.
Had a similar case this week and emailed the sexual health team to confirm I was correct. Which I was.
If you did need contraception which people may at that age then the IUD will act as a contraceptive device. If not take it out.

Noitsnotteatimeyet Sun 12-Feb-17 19:55:12

I have a mirena which was fitted when I was 40, around a year or so after dd was born. When I was 49 I belatedly went back to my GP to ask what I should do now. She tested my FSH(?) levels and said I was still very fertile so I opted to have another mirena put in which she said should tide me over the menopause.

I'm now 53 and have not had any menopausal symptoms at all so far. From what I can see from friends and colleagues who've definitely been through the menopause, your skin texture changes quite a bit - that's not happened yet for me so I'm assuming I've still got it all to come... joy ...

CoconutPancakes Sun 12-Feb-17 20:07:20

My hands are very wrinkly! I've posted in Style & Beauty about that wink

I need to see GP about something else in the next few weeks so will ask then about getting my FSH level checked.

Thanks

Manijo Sun 12-Feb-17 21:12:04

Did exactly the same...had Mirena fitted for heavy periods at 43 and just had it removed by my gynea before Christmas. She decided to whip it out because I'm 52 now and must be menopausal. She decided to do this before doing ovarian scan. Well bugger me...I am still ovolating and now having periods again. Thankfully they're not near as heavy as before but I'm not a happy bunny! I also get hot feet at night but have never had flushing or hot sweats...well not yet. If your feeling good and everything else is normal leave it where it is!

inmyheadimthequeen Sun 12-Feb-17 21:20:02

I had two Mirenas back to back, so ten years in total - no periods at all in that time. When I went for a third Mirena, ie. 2nd renewal, the gp did a blood test and it came back that I was menopausal. She advised me to leave the coil in for at least another year for contraception (I was 51) then removed it. She recommended condoms/alternative contraception for a year but said it was really a 'very unlikely' situation as I was completely through the menopause. I had no symptoms at all.

Manijo Sun 12-Feb-17 21:30:09

queen i am considering having another one fitted just to stop the periods. Cant be doing with all that at 52. DH had a vasectomy so no need for contraception

PollyPerky Mon 13-Feb-17 08:43:18

OP Did you post about this also on the Menopause board?

NICE guidelines state that blood tests are not to be done for women over 45. (Waste of money and waste of time as hormones fluctuate day to day from 45 -55. The test only shows your FSH on that day- next day it could be different.)

I'm puzzled why you need to know. If you aren't using it for contraception? The Mirena often stops periods altogether whether someone is post menopause or not. The only way you would know is to have it removed.

PollyPerky Mon 13-Feb-17 08:47:56

ps- the blood tests for women as described by Musicaltheatre are fine for women under 45 or more often under 40, as they may be experiencing POF.

NICE info here:
1.2 Diagnosis of perimenopause and menopause

1.2.1 Diagnose the following without laboratory tests in otherwise healthy women aged over 45 years with menopausal symptoms:

perimenopause based on vasomotor symptoms and irregular periods

menopause in women who have not had a period for at least 12 months and are not using hormonal contraception

menopause based on symptoms in women without a uterus.

1.2.2 Take into account that it can be difficult to diagnose menopause in women who are taking hormonal treatments, for example for the treatment of heavy periods.

1.2.3 Do not use the following laboratory and imaging tests to diagnose perimenopause or menopause in women aged over 45 years:

anti-Müllerian hormone

inhibin A

inhibin B

oestradiol

antral follicle count

ovarian volume.

1.2.4 Do not use a serum follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) test to diagnose menopause in women using combined oestrogen and progestogen contraception or high-dose progestogen.

1.2.5 Consider using a FSH test to diagnose menopause only:

in women aged 40 to 45 years with menopausal symptoms, including a change in their menstrual cycle

in women aged under 40 years in whom menopause is suspected (see also section 1.6).

CoconutPancakes Mon 13-Feb-17 11:33:55

Polly yes I did also post on the Menopause board. I said there I have also posted here in General Health, having not realised there was a Menopause board. I appreciate your response - the reason I'm keen to know if I am in fact menopausal (don't most women want to know?) is a) I'm wondering if I have gone through the menopause without any symptoms - which would be amazing if that's the case and b) I'm due to have gynae surgery later in the year and thinking that if I am now menopausal then I could get the Mirena removed before the op without the hassle of periods again. From what you've said the blood tests would be a waste of time at my age so I think it's best left in as I don't want a replacement given the pain on insertion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now