Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cold all the time

(14 Posts)
mumoftwo1975 Sat 11-Feb-17 00:31:30

Evening all.
I know it's winter and yes rather chilly outside, but I'm just so very cold all of the time. I've lost weight (and still trying nearly 7 and half stones) my insulation all round has thinned but no matter how many layers I wear both day and night I'm tense with the cold. I have several hot drinks during the day, eat balanced normal meals (slimming world friendly) and work as a busy primary school TA but just can't seem to warm up.
When overweight I was always the rosy cheeked hot one opening the windows, but now I'm the shivery, pale, blue lipped whiney one.

Any tips or ideas please? (In bed wearing bed socks, pjs, dressing gown and hood with blankets!)

Paninotogo Sat 11-Feb-17 00:36:09

This is normal for some people, DD I am looking at you. However, If this is new to you maybe you should see your GP.
I love my electric blanket, I have it on my couch as I like being really cold in bed. But it is so lovely in the evenings to be so snugly while watching TV and mumsnetting.

Paninotogo Sat 11-Feb-17 00:37:14

And congrats on the amazing weightloss!

hamble123 Sat 11-Feb-17 01:34:32

It's possible that you have an underactive thyroid (one of the symptoms is feeling sensitive to the cold) and women tend to get it from around their 40s or approaching the menopause and it's fairly common for women to have it, more so than men.

You can google for information on an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) and see if any of the other symptoms relate to you? However, when I had a routine blood test, it showed that I had hypothyroidism although I actually felt fine.

I just take a generic tablet 1 hour before breakfast each morning (Levothyroxine) and as it is supposed to 'kick start' the thyroid, I will have to take it all my life. I just have to have an annual blood test to check that the hormone levels are stable or an adjustment of the medication is needed.

Hope you feel warm again soon!

Applesauce29 Sat 11-Feb-17 02:04:36

Possibly also to do with the dieting - should stabilise when you start eating to maintain weight rather than lose it.

Having said that thinner people have less insulation, and it's less effort to walk upstairs etc so you feel the cold more easily.

Congrats on the weight loss. Hope you keep it off! And maybe consider getting a Fitbit or other tracker to ensure you're moving around enough during the day to keep metabolism up - I know a few people at work who are always cold and keep hot water bottles at their desks. Better to get up and go for a walk every hour even if just to loos / photocopier etc.

yeOldeTrout Sun 12-Feb-17 09:14:38

I had a spell of wearing 3 sets of PJs to bed.
scarf & gloves & hats in house.
leggings under jeans, 4-5 layers up top indoors plus jacket-coat outside.

What is your BMI now, OP?

SunnySomer Sun 12-Feb-17 09:20:10

Agree with pp about seeing GP - I too am always cold due to hypothyroidism. But I also agree with a different pp re: keeping moving. I have fairly low blood pressure, but some vigorous exercise tends to warm me up. To warm up before bed I have a bath, put on pyjamas and socks and that seems fine. Every sympathy though - cold is miserable.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 12-Feb-17 09:53:35

I would see your GP and have your thyroid levels checked to see if it is underactive.

yeOldeTrout Sun 12-Feb-17 09:58:45

Because the NHS is so pressured I wouldn't see a GP at all unless my life was miserable (which it doesn't sound for OP). But no one can make that decision for you. Worth looking up other options, anyway. One reason I like running is it gets me very hot in winter smile.

Crumbs1 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:24:18

Under active thyroid results in weight gain not loss! It's probably diet related not enough body fat to keep you warm.

mumoftwo1975 Sun 12-Feb-17 10:40:05

Thanks everyone... I'm seeing a nurse this week(prebooked for another reason) so I'll mention to her and see what she thinks. My current bmi is 26 so not far too go.
Im always on the go at work- the photocopier and loo are in the furthest part of the building away and with all the soup/salad/hot squash etc- I need to pee plenty!! I've got a busy young pup to play with and prepare all meals and veggies which means I rarely sit down before dinnertime. Then in and out most evenings to groups.
Im hopeful that when the warmer weather arrives my body can stabilise and thaw out! X

Guitargirl Sun 12-Feb-17 10:42:43

Are you low carbing? I always feel the cold more when I cut down on carbs.

mumoftwo1975 Thu 16-Feb-17 23:32:36

Evening Guitargirl, thanks for reading- I'm not really restricting my carbs too heavily - some meals more than others tho I guess- but I'll watch that pattern. I'm very much a carb eater so if I don't have any at dinner Im usually prone to grazing till I hit the spot!

Winniethepooer Thu 16-Feb-17 23:38:24

You can lose weight if you have an underactive thyroid. My thyroid function was so poor, I was displaying symptons of an overactive thyroid.

Even my GP was shocked by my blood test results. I also had no symptoms but it can affect your long term health if left untreated.

Definitely mention it to the nurse.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: