Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it normal to be able to do this with your neck?

(12 Posts)
MiscellaneousAssortment Thu 09-Feb-17 20:17:54

Sorry, a bit of a random one but as my body is really messed up these days, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, hoping for some perspective!

When bending your neck forwards m, chin to chest or forwards and to the side, chin to shoulder type of movements, is it normal for you to start to black out? I suspect I probably would actually pass out if I kept my head and neck in that position, but I haven't really wanted to test that out! I quickly feel nauseous, dizzy and get grey / black clouds in front of my eyes, and rushing sound in my ears, which fades when I move my neck up again....

Just wondering if everyone gets that? Eg when shaving arm pits is when I realised this was happening, and since then whenever I compress my neck, like lifting my head up off the pillow to see/ talk to someone standing at the foot of the bed

Thanks!

loveyoutothemoon Thu 09-Feb-17 21:19:06

See your GP ASAP.

BlessThisMess Thu 09-Feb-17 21:19:55

No, not normal!

Olswitcharoo Thu 09-Feb-17 21:24:58

Yeaaahhh.....that's not normal. Is it a recent thing? Sounds like an artery is getting pinched and hindering the flow of blood to your brain. It's not healthy, phone the docs tomorrow.

picklemepopcorn Thu 09-Feb-17 21:40:19

Not normal. Chiropractor will help.

Crunchyside Thu 09-Feb-17 21:42:26

Not normal. I would go to GP. What if you're trapping an artery and it somehow happens when you're driving or walking down stairs or something? I would get it checked ASAP!

MiscellaneousAssortment Thu 09-Feb-17 23:07:14

Thanks, I feel weirdly reassured by knowing it's ok to think it's not ok iyswim?!

At the same time as being a little freaked out because impeding blood flow through/ around your jugular can't be a good thing right?

Hard to know when your body often does weird stuff whether it's weird in a 'golly aren't bodies weird and wonderful' kind of way, or weird as in 'ergh bodies aren't built to do that and there's a Reason why!' kind of way.

So just to be clear, no one has had this happen as just part of daily life?

Thank you 😊

Tanfastic Thu 09-Feb-17 23:28:55

I suffer from BPPV (vertigo) and gave similar feelings with certain head movements. More dizziness/spinning than the feeling of blacking out though.

picklemepopcorn Fri 10-Feb-17 06:17:21

I know two people who occasionally blacked out probably for a similar reason. My DM was elderly, it happened maybe three times over four years. And a bloke in his fifties, generally not too healthy, overweight, smoked etc.

MiscellaneousAssortment Fri 10-Feb-17 18:52:15

Could hypermobility make it possible for me to bend my neck so much I cut off my blood supply in/ through my neck?

Feels a bit, err, extreme though maybe?

Littlelostdinosaur Fri 10-Feb-17 19:02:11

I'm hylermobile and this doesn't happen to me, sounds like something to take to the gp

mycavitiesareempty Sat 11-Feb-17 13:06:25

Please DO NOT go to a chiropractor, that is really bad advice at this stage. You need to see someone properly medically qualified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now