Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pointy breast lump - trying not to panic

(24 Posts)
caffeineismyfriend Thu 09-Feb-17 11:08:28

Yesterday, (while scratching), I found a little pointy-feeling lump in the lower half of my left breast. I have lumpy breasts in general and have had several ultrasounds/mammograms in the past to rule out any problems. But my normal lumps are deep-down and smooth.

This one feels different to that, it feels kind of grainy, and is much closer to the surface, more under my skin. With the others I have to press quite hard to feel them, but this one is just there, and I can feel it with almost no pressure at all. What's of real concern is that it feels hard, like a stone, I know that soft, movable lumps are less likely to be cancer.

I've managed to get a doctor's appointment for tomorrow, and I'm sure they'll refer me to get it checked, but I'm obviously worried and want to try not to spend the whole day panicking.. Arghhhh!!! Might bake a cake to take my mind off of it. cake

I know that nobody can diagnose me on the internet, but I wanted to tell someone about it as I haven't told anyone yet.

smileyreiley Thu 09-Feb-17 12:00:43

All I can say is bake that cake!!!
You are doing the right thing, get checked asap- keep yourself busy until mammogram, knowledge is power.
Good on you for being so proactive!!
Now get baking!!

MajorClanger123 Thu 09-Feb-17 12:16:59

Sorry to hear your concerns caffeine - i'll hand hold you as I too am waiting to go for my breast clinic appt next Monday (13th).

Funnily enough, my breast lump sounds like your previous lumps - very deep in the tissue in that I can't feel it when I follow the 'standard' breast examination guidelines either standing up or lying down, only when I dig deep into the tissue with finger tips whilst cupping my breast from underneath. Not even sure this is correct & whether i'm feeling lumpy tissue created by my own pressure confused. I can feel other, smaller lumps too, but overall it feels different to the other breast so I want it checked out.

I felt dreadful the 1st week after going to the GPs (whilst waiting for my referral appt to come through). Couldnt even look at my kids without welling up. Feeling much calmer this second week - still nervous but not quite so anxious.

I won't say don't worry as I know that's annoying - its natural to worry! Us ladies like to catastrophise and think the worst and nothing anyone else says will change that. Glad you've got a speedy GP appt, hopefully a speedy referral too flowers

caffeineismyfriend Thu 09-Feb-17 12:34:09

Thanks Smileyreilley, I've decided to make a stew instead! I'm finding the chopping therapeutic.. And I'm grateful for the hand-hold MajorClanger. Good luck with your apt. on Monday, glad you don't have long to wait now. It's very worrying isn't it, I'm trying not to over-think it until I know more, but it's very hard as I am definitely a natural worrier. sad I'm obviously no expert but if you can't feel it using the examination guidelines, then hopefully that means that it's normal breast tissue.

After I see the doctor tomorrow I know I'll probably still have a little while to wait before being referred for scans, so I will have to try to brace myself for the wait. I'm hoping that the GP might at least be able to reassure me a bit in the meantime?? Will have to see.

Good luck on Monday MC123.

caffeineismyfriend Thu 09-Feb-17 22:46:04

Scaring myself shitless now, as I've been googling. I know that was a mistake, but I was trying to reassure myself. When I google "breast lump like a grain of rice" it's really all about cancer.

I know that tomorrow the GP won't be able to know one way or the other so it'll still be a wait until I know anything. When I told DH earlier he looked so concerned and sweet that it brought it home to me what it might mean, thinking about what will happen to him and DD if the worst happens. I know I mustn't think like that and should probably go to bed.

Google is not my friend.

(On the plus side my distraction-stew was lovely).

MajorClanger123 Fri 10-Feb-17 07:56:50

Oh caffeine you sound like I was last week....totally petrified, googling all day long, focusing on the bad stories, not the positives. In the end I spent a lot of time reading up about kylie minogue / Victoria Derbyshire / Sian Williams (I.e. Positive stories). I know that's weird, but it helped calm me down. I'm now just sticking to this board, no other googling and I feel much calmer.

It's basically the 'unknown' that is scaring us shitless, once you get a handle on that, the anxiety dissipates somewhat (although not entirely).

Last time I went to the breast clinic I told no-one and I think it made it worse. This time I've told my book group girls and several other friends - off out for a cuppa this morning with a few girlies and I know they'll make me feel better about things.

Bake that cake, positive thoughts flowers

smileyreiley Fri 10-Feb-17 07:59:21

Good luck with docs today
I have no doubt it will be a waiting game and huge anxiety that goes with that, but you know this, you know what the worst is and have pure hope for the best. So that's it. It's just the bloody wait!!! I feel for you and thinking of you. Head up, be strong. Let us know how it goes

Secretspillernamechange Fri 10-Feb-17 08:08:34

I had a pointy lump OP - it was like a little hard cylinder. Ultrasound showed it was a cyst and one day when I was checking I found it had just gone. Odds are yours is nothing too, definitely go and get checked out but please try not to panic flowers.

Rainatnight Fri 10-Feb-17 08:10:38

Step away from Google. Definitely.

All the best for today. flowers

caffeineismyfriend Fri 10-Feb-17 17:25:58

Hi MajorClanger, I'll try to stay away from the bad stuff! I had my doctor's appointment and saw a lovely GP. He was completely unemotional about it, which made me feel better as he didn't go "Oh my god, that feels awful!" He told me to try not to worry, and that I'll get my breast clinic appointment soon. He also said not to panic that it'll be a quick referral, because that's standard for all breast lumps.

I haven't told anyone yet except for my husband as I don't want to worry people, and just want everyone to be normal towards me if that makes sense. I get what you mean though, it might help me not feel so stressed if I can talk to people about it, I might tell my friend but I'll see. Lots of my friends seem to have enough drama going on in their lives at the moment! Yes, might bake my cake tomorrow! smile

Thanks for your words of support everyone, it really helps me feel more grounded. I know lots of people have been in this boat before, it is hellish. I'm glad that your pointy lump was just a cyst Secretspiller. I know that statistics are on my side. Will let you know what happens. Going to try to drag myself away from Google in the meantime, and bake/eat cake and drink tea. wine

caffeineismyfriend Fri 10-Feb-17 18:59:39

Thanks guys. flowers

caffeineismyfriend Tue 14-Feb-17 02:10:11

MajorClanger123, I hope your appointment went ok today.

MajorClanger123 Tue 14-Feb-17 07:17:43

caffeine yes all fine thankyou. I've got glandular tissue apparently. Had a really good tutorial in self breast checking, a thorough examination followed by ultrasound. Nothing found, just dense, fibrous tissue. Feel relieved and glad I'm now aware of my 'normal' breast tissue. All my other 'symptoms' also disappeared last night once told all fine - for example I had awful back & shoulder pain during the 2 week wait for appt, which I now think was caused by stress, but obvs I decided was something else sinister. I'm upping my eve primrose and scheduling a day per month to check my breasts thoroughly (instead of my current daily prodding & poking).
Good luck with your appt flowers

caffeineismyfriend Tue 14-Feb-17 12:27:59

I'm really glad it was all fine. You must be very relieved! I'm also doing the shoulder thing.. I had a phone call today to say that my appointment's on the 24th Feb. I was hoping for an earlier one than that, but the lady said she'd phone me if she gets a cancellation. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to distract myself as much as possible, (finally making cake today).

caffeineismyfriend Wed 22-Feb-17 19:29:23

I'm just after some further advice for my scan appointment on Friday. My husband's asked me whether I'd like him to come with, and I'm not sure what to say.

Usually if I have somebody with me at medical appointments it makes me nervous and panicky, but by myself I'm a lot more calm and "adult" about the whole thing. But, (for those of you who have perhaps been there before), in the case where it's not just a simple cyst, what exactly do they tell you on the day?? Worst-case scenario, are they going to be able to say after a mammogram "yes, it's cancerous". Or are they more likely to say, "we can't tell what it is from the scans, so we'd like to remove it"?

Because if there's the possibility of the former then I would like him to come with me to the scan. But if, at worst, they'd refer me for further tests and be a bit vague then I'd probably be able to handle that better, and not need him with me.

Testiclay Wed 22-Feb-17 19:34:14

They grade mammograms from 1-5, 1 being completely benign to 5 being malignant looking. A 3 is a don't know. It's the same for ultrasound imaging.

So yes they can usually tell whether something looks suspicious or not and they will tell you the same day what they think.

Rogue1234 Wed 22-Feb-17 19:43:47

I would say definitely take him - I had both a biopsy and a fine needle aspiration in one appointment (cysts on both breasts). I went on my own and honestly have no idea how I managed to drive myself home. It was relatively ok but the adrenaline rushing through my system from the biopsy made me very shakey, I just needed a hand hold and someone to drive me home and make me a cup of tea at the end!
It didn't help that a lady in the waiting room was telling everyone about her previous breast cancer ops, it was making us all very nervous confused
I got my test results a week later, but it may have been quicker if it was bad news.
Good luck for tomorrow flowers

TheBitterBoy Wed 22-Feb-17 19:45:24

Is it a breast clinic appointment? If so, you see one of the team, they examine you and take a history, then you have an ultrasound or mammogram, or both. It is also possible they will do a needle biopsy (thin needle into lump, I promise it doesn't hurt). Once all that is done, you wait, usually quite a while so they can get all the results together, then you go back in to see the team again and they will usually talk you through the findings. All on the same day, so yes, with luck you will have some kind of answer on the day, hopefully good news. I have been through this twice, both times my results were inconclusive, requiring further tests at a later date, but thankfully all clear in the end. Best wishes for a good outcome!

caffeineismyfriend Wed 22-Feb-17 22:27:49

Thanks so much for your answers, and for sharing your experiences. Sorry you've all been through this.

I didn't realise how it worked with the grading, or that they could tell so much just from the ultrasound and mammogram, and find out so much on the day. Yes, it is a breast clinic appointment. I've had one before a long time ago, but that was for lumpy breast tissue so all was fine, and I wasn't sure what the next step is if it doesn't all look fine.

I've asked DH to come with on Friday. Trying to stay calm before then. (I'm using my made-up mantra "don't worry until there's something to worry about". It's a bit clunky but it's kind of helping...) Thank you for all of your good wishes. I'll let you know what happens on Friday.

Pogolphin Thu 23-Feb-17 18:00:26

Good luck for tomorrow OP!

ImperialBlether Thu 23-Feb-17 18:02:16

Best of luck for tomorrow.

caffeineismyfriend Fri 24-Feb-17 21:53:00

Thanks for the good luck messages and the support that I got on here, it really made a difference, and helped me to cope with the wait. flowers I had my clinic appointment today and it was fine.

I saw the doctor first and then they sent me for a mammogram and an ultrasound. The ultrasound doctor found it difficult to find the lump I was talking about, and when she asked me to show it to her I even had trouble finding it myself, (because it's easier to find with my bra on!) But she said she thoroughly examined that whole area and saw nothing troublesome.

They said that I have multiple cysts in my breasts, but nothing suspicious at this time, and I don't need to have the cysts drained as they're quite small. It feels like a huge weight of my mind, and I feel very lucky.

Rogue1234 Fri 24-Feb-17 22:07:05

That's great news! Glad it all went OK. Hope you've celebrated tonight with some wine

caffeineismyfriend Fri 24-Feb-17 23:18:49

Thanks Rogue1234. I'm not, as I need to work tomorrow. But maybe tomorrow night. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now