Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urgent referral to the breast cancer clinic- what happens next?

(7 Posts)
elevenswan Wed 08-Feb-17 17:30:37

I've posted on there before about how I carry the BRCA1 mutation. I've been planning to have a preventative double mastectomy in the next year or so. About a month ago I noticed a red mark on my boob about a centimetre from my nipple. Looks a bit like a random small patch of eczema or an insect bite, but it hasn't gone away, so I went to the doctors.

She checked me over and said I needed to be seen at the hospital asap and has sent over an urgent referral. She even said for me to ring them tomorrow (I'm on their system as I have check ups there) and ask them to speed it up. She ticked the box on the form saying 'nipple rash' and 'discreet lump'- I can't feel a lump myself but she said something about this box if it's ticked it speeds things up. Maybe there is a small lump and she doesn't want me to worry? I dunno.

What should I expect in my appointment? She asked me questions about my weight and smoking etc because she said they needed this info in case I need surgery. Would it be a biopsy and what happens in a biopsy? Will they give me an ultrasound or mammogram? If it's inflammatory breast cancer how do they diagnose that? Would like to prepare if anyone knows about any of those things would be a great help.

I have massive anxiety and struggle with going out etc so no idea how I'm going to get through all this but I don't really have a choice I guess! Also any tips for keeping calm and not catastrophising?

Thanks lasses x

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 08-Feb-17 17:47:24

When I was referred to the breast clinic for a lump, I had a mammogram, breast examination with consultant and an ultrasound with punch biopsy. I got the results a week later and it was a lump of infection that several weeks of antibiotics cleared up.

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Wed 08-Feb-17 17:48:55

The wait is awful, apart from keeping busy there is not a lot you can do.
At the clinic the staff were all lovely and supportive.

GloGirl Wed 08-Feb-17 18:06:37

Oh gosh this is scary. I had no risk factors but found a lump that didn't go away and worked myself up into a right frenzy.
The clinic I went to was lovely - everybody was calming and reassuring and I was able to go home that day with an all clear, I really hope the same happens for you flowers

elevenswan Thu 09-Feb-17 12:51:32

Thanks everyone, spoke to the clinic this morning and they're really full so going to have to wait the full two weeks sad just going to try and keep as distracted as possible. Feel a bit detached from my boob and like I don't want to look at it and touch it. They said I'd be having an ultrasound then a needle biopsy and maybe mammogram, maybe they'll send me some more info out when I get my appointment letter

GloGirl Thu 09-Feb-17 13:16:41

Oh that's a shame. Maybe try ringing next week and just see if there are any cancellations?

elevenswan Fri 10-Feb-17 14:33:11

They want me to see a certain consultant because I'm already a known patient (have yearly checkups there) and he's away next week confused but at least they're making sure I see the top guy which is reassuring

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now