Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Avoiding or treating norovirus and d&v?

(7 Posts)
MrsFogi Tue 07-Feb-17 17:19:20

So it seems the hotel we are going to next week has had a massive outbreak of norovirus or d&v for the last few weeks (not great!). Can anyone suggest what we can do to minimise our chances of catching the bugs? And, in case we fail, what drugs I should be bringing with us (for adults and the dcs) just in case.....hmm

MichaelSheensNextDW Tue 07-Feb-17 19:23:37

In your position I'd take a bleach cleaning spray and wipe over all places where people touch on arrival - door handles, taps, remote control...as much as I could really. And put bleach all over the sink/bath/shower.
But that's just me, because I've had noro and would do anything to avoid getting it again. I would take dioralyte, paracetamol and vaseline for sore bums biscuit <not a biscuit

Out of interest, have you emailed the hotel to inform them that you're aware of the situation, and are wondering what steps have been taken to minimise the risk of transmission between guests? Let them know you're understandably very concerned - I'd expect them to reassure you and hopefully give you a discount or bottle of goodwill champagne or something.

WiMoChi Tue 07-Feb-17 20:24:57

Ecohydra is a hand sanitizer from Boots that is effective against norovirus

Penfold007 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:33:22

Surely a hotel with a norovirus outbreak is closed? Personally I would stay somewhere else.

Twopeapods Tue 07-Feb-17 22:23:39

I'd take zoflora/bleach/sanitizer/anti bac wipes. Everything needs cleaned in the room. And I would spray diluted zoflora over carpets, chairs, mattress, bedding.
Or stay somewhere else. confused

MrsFogi Tue 07-Feb-17 23:00:01

Thanks for the advice - I'd love to stay somewhere else but the (expensive) holiday is all paid for and it seems that in France norovirus is no barrier to making money in ski season.

Titsywoo Tue 07-Feb-17 23:02:34

The complex we stayed at in October half term in Rhodes had an outbreak in the month before we went. But we were fine and I didn't see or hear about anyone else being ill while we were there. I didn't bother bleaching stuff or whatever. The fact is if you're going to get it you'll get it. Where did you hear about this outbreak? Chances are it has been exaggerated and is only a few people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now