Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Smears again - Do I need one yet ?

(10 Posts)
FoghornLeghorn Tue 27-Feb-07 14:02:25

OK can I be completely thick and ask a question .....

I am 22, have DD1 (2.7 years) and DD2 (13 weeks ) have never had a smear test in my life, have slept with DH and one other, have been sexually active since my mid teens.

Do I need to have one ? I think I recall NDP saying something about them not being necessary until you are over 25 now ?

nogoes Tue 27-Feb-07 14:08:12

I think it might depend on which area you live in. I think some health authorities offer them from the age of 20 whereas some do not offer them until 23.

NomDePlume Tue 27-Feb-07 14:09:18

You should get a letter from the health authority when it is time for your smear.

FoghornLeghorn Tue 27-Feb-07 14:22:35

Lovely ta

jambomum Tue 27-Feb-07 14:24:13

Yes you definitely need a smear. Your GP should've sorted this out when you had your 6 week post-natal check up.
You should phone your GP surgery and ask to arrange an appointment for a smear. Some GP surgeries, the female GP will do it, in others it is the practice nurse that does it. Your age and the number of sexual partners doesn't matter, you still need to have the test done (those factors just reduce your risk of there being any problem). Smears don't just check for cancer, they check for other viruses etc too.
It's not a particularly pleasant experience, but having had 2 kids, I'm sure it won't be the worst you've had either.
Better go and get it over with .

FoghornLeghorn Tue 27-Feb-07 14:25:34

Confused now .

jambomum Tue 27-Feb-07 14:31:23

Didn't mean to confuse you - sorry.
You won't be contacted by your health authority, because you are not yet on their mailing list, (some health authorities don't send reminders anyway).

You must get a smear. If you don't you are burying your head in the sand/taking a risk that an early sign of something will be missed and turn into something big and nasty.

If you are confused, book an appointment with your GP/practice nurse and discuss it with them.

FoghornLeghorn Tue 27-Feb-07 14:33:59

Sorry meant I was confused whether I should or shouldn't.
Can I just ring and request one though ?

Will get on to it today

FoghornLeghorn Tue 27-Feb-07 14:44:02

All booked, thanks

saralou100 Tue 27-Feb-07 15:03:14

NICE have changed their guidance to over 25's... so your ok..... but it won't hurt to have it if you want it done!

your not on the mailing list because you don't need to be

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: