Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Having a tooth extracted towards the front of mouth.

(7 Posts)
Mittens14 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:06:46

I have to have a tooth taken out, next to the front teeth so it will obviously show when I talk and smile. My dentist has told me that he can't replace it for 3 months.
I know this is not a serious problem at all, so sorry if it seems trivial but I attend a lot of meetings in my job and just wondering how it will look.
Anyone else had similar.

Twopeapods Mon 06-Feb-17 21:52:59

My mum has the first molar out and has a fake one to put it. But when she doesn't have it in I honestly don't notice it. You will probably be aware of it and self conscience but others will not take any notice. And the three months will go by quickly.

camperkid Mon 06-Feb-17 21:55:23

Had to reply! Husband similar situation - his tooth just snapped off (teeth grinding!) and he had the root extracted as there was no chance to crown it. He had an 'instant denture' which was fine from the aesthetic point of view but he can't stand it from the functional perspective; its just a nuisance! He took it out to eat, but the worst difficulty he found was speaking in public or church etc
Now embarking on £3k of orthodontic work privately as it has uncovered a host of things that will only get worse with age and wear. Hopefully this will encourage the rest ot the teeth (which have a clear 'history'!) to behave. Hopefully this will free up enough space in his mouth for him to have an implant in due course.
Just a case of wait and see - everyone has a different view of options and everyon'e mouth is different after all!
Hope you sort something out.

YourFace Mon 06-Feb-17 21:56:49

Ask the dentist for a clip on denture. You shouldn't have to put up with a gap for 3 months. Are you getting an implant long term?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Mon 06-Feb-17 22:00:42

I've just had this discussion with my dentist, as a re-root canal may fail. If that happens, they will make a cast of the current tooth, have a denture made in advance, extract the tooth, fit the denture immediately and that will stay in for 3-4 months to let the gum and bone heal. Then they can either fit a bridge or a proper denture.

It makes me feel so sick to think about it, but it's the only alternative of the tooth fails.

BobbyNoggle Mon 06-Feb-17 23:09:06

Your dentist can make you an immediate partial denture; to be fitted at the extraction appointment.
You've been misinformed about 'nothing to replace it for 3 months'
This treatment is available on the NHS & is Band 3 fee , as it involves a denture (lab fees are incurred).

Mittens14 Tue 07-Feb-17 21:14:25

Thank you all for the helpful info. Will go back to the dentist to discuss further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now