Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore gums, will all my teeth fall out ??

(14 Posts)
NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 12:43:42

Gums have been sore and bleeding when I brush my teeth for a couple of weeks now. I thought it was my toothbrush so changed it but thats made no difference.

What can I do ?? I don't have a dentist at the mo as last 2 stopped taking NHS patients.

Tutter Tue 27-Feb-07 12:44:33

how do you brush? up and down = bad, hould be gentle circular motion, pushign down but only a light pressure back up

floss

Tutter Tue 27-Feb-07 12:45:03

ps you really should find a dentist - call your local health auth

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 12:46:58

I do do circles not up and down, but no I don't floss, tried once and didn't feel like I was doing it right.

What about mouthwash, will that help ??

I am trying to get a new dentist, but failing at the mo. Will try the one attatched to the health centre and see what they say.

chopchopbusybusy Tue 27-Feb-07 12:49:03

If it is too difficult to find an NHS dentist or the wait is too long then call a private dentist and ask how much they charge for a check up - it's often similar to NHS charge. You will get advice on looking after your gums and you don't have to have the treatment recommended if you feel it is too expensive.(and if they have a hygenist make an appointment with him/her. This probably won't exceed £30)

chopchopbusybusy Tue 27-Feb-07 12:51:30

Oh - just to add the hygenist I see does not recommend mouth wash as she says it is too harsh but she makes (she really is quite scary) me use the interdental brushes which I must say are very good.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 12:56:01

Problem is, I am on Income Support so with a NHS dentist I don't pay at all.

Last dentist gave me the option of staying on but it would have been £8 a month for me and the same for the kids.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 12:56:24

What are interdental brushes ?

sandcastles Tue 27-Feb-07 12:58:34

Do not stop brushing. Your gums are bleeding because you are not removing all the debris around them.

You should have a small headed soft bristled toothbrush.(Oral b or Sensodyne 3 is ideal)

Small circular movements, as suggested before. But you do need something to clean in between your teeth. If you can't floss then get some tepe brushes (Boots/Superdrug) and gently clean between all your teeth.

Mind what mouthwash you use. Many of them contain alcohol & will only aggrevate the tissues. Choose an alcohol free one (Oral B, Fluoriguard)

Buy some disclosing tablets so you can see what areas you are missing when you brush. Your gums will bleed the more you brush, but they have to, to heal.

chopchopbusybusy, my experience of private dental practices (worked at 3) is way diff to yours....we charged up of 60gbp for a consult & 80gbp for a hygienist (who you can't see until the dentist has seen you, as the hygienist is a prescribed treatment.

sandcastles Tue 27-Feb-07 12:59:47

Tepe Interdental Brushes

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 13:02:39

Ah ha, thanks sandcastles, will make a note of all of that for when i next go shopping.

sandcastles Tue 27-Feb-07 13:05:29

that's Ok. They can be expensive, but you can use each brush more than once & just rince it clean in hot water. I would recommend you try the orange ones, as they are a good size & usually fit most spaces.

sandcastles Tue 27-Feb-07 13:06:45

oh, and as long as you get on top of this as soon as you can, there is no reason you can't keep your teeth for a while yet.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 13:08:22

Thanks, thats really helpful. I am petrified of my teeth falling out for some reason.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now