Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can a child get measles even if they have had the vaccine ??

(24 Posts)
NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:07:54

Ds has a rash that looks almost identicle to a measles rash. I orignially though it was slapped cheek buit the rash is hardely on his face at the mo, mainly on his neck, back and shoulders, plus his legs bum, well everywhere really.

belgo Tue 27-Feb-07 11:08:50

Have you teken him to the doctor?

Lots of virus cause similar rashes.

JodieG1 Tue 27-Feb-07 11:09:58

yes they can

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:11:02

Have an appointment for 4:40 today. It does look alarmingly similar to the measles rash, although it is itchy, is a measles rash itchy ?

belgo Tue 27-Feb-07 11:17:15

these are the symptons of measles:
What are the symptoms of measles?

The first symptoms of measles are a feeling of being generally unwell, a runny nose, hacking cough, and red eyes, with a temperature as high as 40.6°C, and aches and pains. Children may also complain that bright light hurts their eyes. One identifying sign of measles is Koplik’s spots, which are small, red, irregularly-shaped spots with blue or white centres, which usually appear inside the mouth one to two days before the measles rash. A few days afterwards, the measles rash appears, usually on the head and neck first, and then spreading to cover all the body. It takes about three days for the rash to make its way down to the feet. The rash starts as small red spots, but these join together to make larger, flat patches of red or brown. The large, flat red or brown patches often flow into one another and completely cover the skin. The total amount of time for the rash from beginning to end is usually about six days.

belgo Tue 27-Feb-07 11:17:59

Can't find anything about the rash being itchy.

ScottishThistle Tue 27-Feb-07 11:18:29

Yes a child whom has been vaccinated can get measles, they will get a milder dose however!

Twiglett Tue 27-Feb-07 11:19:31

measles isn't itchy

sounds like an allergy rash or viral

and yes kids who have been vaccinated can get measles

brimfull Tue 27-Feb-07 11:19:52

yes they can still get it if immunised....great eh?!
Is it wise to go to the surgery with suspected measles,I'd phone and tell them you suspect measles,may be unimmunised babies in there.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:20:07

Hmmm, he did have a slight cold and cough abut a week ago but no particularly high temp.

His rash did definatly start as spots and has now merged into big raised blothes in alot of places. I'd take a pic if my camera worked.

ScottishThistle Tue 27-Feb-07 11:20:16

Have you ruled out an allergic reaction?

I'm allergic to biological washing powder & my rash looked very like measles!

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:21:46

Hmm i wondered that about the surgery.

Oh i dunno. It is definatly itchy though, keep having to tell him not to scratch.

Not sure what else it could be. On his face it is down each side by his ear, looks like red side burns LOL.

nogoes Tue 27-Feb-07 11:22:17

I was vaccinated as a baby but got measles when I was 15, I had a mild case though felt like flu with a rash.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:22:19

I only use non bio at the mo, and haven't changed it recently or any soap, shower gels or anything.

belgo Tue 27-Feb-07 11:22:24

Itchy rashes can be scabies (which doesn't effect the face),
heat rashes or viral

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:26:49

Just googled scabies, and it doesn't look like that, thankgod. His is more blotchy than that.

Twiglett Tue 27-Feb-07 11:29:00

you know neck back shoulders bum and legs sound a little like a contact allergy

particularly if its at the back more prevalently

any chance you've changed washing powder

can you give him some piriton for the itch?

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:32:16

Nope not changed washing powder or anything like that I don't think.

It is like his sisters rash was in that it is blotchy but hers was flat and lacy looking although that did itch slightly, whereas his is raised and alot redder than hers.

Haven't got any piriton in, will get some later one. He tends to only start scratching when I am poking and prodding him trying to have a look at it.

belgo Tue 27-Feb-07 11:35:15

The same illness can cause different looking rashes in different people

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 11:36:45

Oh i dunno, suppose I'll just have to wait and see. Will rack brains though to think of anything i have changed that could of caused a reaction.

belgo Tue 27-Feb-07 18:23:23

What happened at the doctor's?

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 18:40:34

The diagnosis is .................an allergic reaction.

By the time we got there the rash on his shoulders looked like it was turning into little welts as the red blothces had gone whiteish in the middle. Dr said that he definatly thinks it is an allergic reaction and that sometimes a virus can trigger an allergy or it can just appear.

I have been trying to think what he has been in contact with thats different but can't think of anything. He has however eaten 3 different things, mushroom cous cous, cheese and chive dip and he had pineapple juice which i don't think he's had before, not 100% sure.

Dr said that unless it happens again then we'll probably never know.

Gave us some Piriton so have dosed ds up much to his disgust.

Got home and rang dd's friend who was watching her for me, and now dd's ill too, so I have her here dosed up with calpol and the sick bucket.

NuttyMuffins Tue 27-Feb-07 18:50:59

Oh and I am obviously a weakling as it took me about 100 attempts and some swearing to open the flippin piriton bottle.

belgo Tue 27-Feb-07 19:31:52

Glad it's not the measles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now