Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

IUD strings drastically Shorter should i panic?!

(17 Posts)
RedDwarf4 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:53:14

Ive had my copper IUD for about 18months so I know how the strings should feel, I also take the pill as I have period issues (joy) im at the end of my pill pack (last pill today) but have been spotting the past few days (this might be nothing as i suffer bleeding issues) today i decided to check the strings anyway and it doesn't feel right i can barely feel anything but a small spikey end of string much much shorter than last check. Approx 1/2 week ago.

My coil has somehow moved up?! How?! Obviously no pregnancy worries but how serious is this because I'm panicking its perforated my womb.

Do i need to see my GP? Visit the GUM clinic where it was fitted? Do I need to do this ASAP? Is this bad?!

RedDwarf4 Sun 05-Feb-17 22:40:12

Yeah now I'm pretty sure I can't feel any strings at all confused

RedDwarf4 Mon 06-Feb-17 07:19:26

BUMP

HeyMacWey Mon 06-Feb-17 12:39:44

The strings could have just got twisted up so don't panic that the iud has moved.

I couldn't feel the strings of mine after 6 months of it being fitted but just left it till it was due to be replaced five years later. When it was removed the nurse had to do a hunting around to reach the strings but she got there in the end.

If it's causing you to really worry give the gum clinic a call. They could book you in to get it checked and maybe able to move the strings back down the cervix.

rosie39forever Mon 06-Feb-17 13:00:04

My strings disappeared weeks after insertion, panicked and had an ultrasound, it was still in place but the strings had curled up into my cervix, the ultrasound technician said she scans women all the time and is very common. Your strings can move up and down throughout your cycle as your cervix moves and the best time to check is after your period.

I wouldn't worry about perforation unless you have pain and heavy bleeding, but ask you gp for a scan referral to put your mind at rest.

RedDwarf4 Mon 06-Feb-17 18:39:19

Hey, thanks for replies.

I went to a GUM clinic today they couldn't find them either, they tried playing it down, its not normal for me in any way shape or form and just said I'll be referred for a scan. I am bleeding and in some pain but I guess I'll just have to put up with this for several weeks whilst they arrange a scan?! WTF this is a joke.

Sorry I'm just really pissed off and feel like I've just been left to suffer.

RedDwarf4 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:37:07

I may ring to see my GP in the morning to see if they can help speed up the process.

MyBeloved Mon 06-Feb-17 21:50:49

Many gp surgeries offer a scan service. Ask for an urgent referral as it may have moved or perforated your uterus if you are bleeding and in pain. You have legitimate concerns - don't be fobbed off!
Good luck flowers

RedDwarf4 Mon 06-Feb-17 22:04:11

Thanks mybeloved that's what I'm fearing!

I have some pain and twinges but tbf I have a pretty high pain threshold & not sure if its pyschosamatic hmm. I am bleeding and as I mentioned I am on the pill so I shouldnt be. So I am going to call my GP surgery in the morning and not let them fob me off.

Thank you for your kind words and reassurance flowers I often doubt myself as I don't want to look like a hypochondriac!

MyBeloved Mon 06-Feb-17 23:41:52

You know your body best and if you feel.this isn't right then insist on being seen urgently. Good luck and let us know how you get on tomorrow.
Fingers crossed everything is OK x

RedDwarf4 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:06:22

Hello, so if I've not heard about a scan in a week Ive to chase it up sad

Waiting game.

MyBeloved Wed 08-Feb-17 22:11:51

Is that what your GP told you?

RedDwarf4 Wed 08-Feb-17 23:23:12

Yep. Apparently I'd be in A&E if it was anything bad...

Leggit Wed 08-Feb-17 23:36:25

WTF this is a joke. Sorry I'm just really pissed off and feel like I've just been left to suffer.

Massive over reaction. As pp's have said it's very common for strings to move etc. You have been referred for a scan, sounds like a reasonable response to me.

MyBeloved Wed 08-Feb-17 23:57:33

Leggit, the op has had her coil in long enough to know this isn't normal first her. It is possible for a coil to perforate the uterus- particularly if there is bleeding and pain. I'd say better safe than sorry personally.

Leggit Thu 09-Feb-17 00:08:53

I'd say better safe than sorry personally.. Well so would I. But to go from "I can't feel my strings" to "wtf is this a joke" and "I feel like I have been left to suffer" in the space of a few posts does look extreme.

BumDNC Thu 09-Feb-17 22:43:49

I'm no doctor but I think the perforation is more likely to Happen at insertion not randomly but mine moved then fell out, they aren't fool proof so hopefully a scan would show where it's gone. Any chance it fell out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now