Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What on earth isn't wrong with me?

(14 Posts)
Friendinneed2016 Sun 05-Feb-17 18:41:08

I've been to the GP and they said they think I have eczema and to apply moisturiser regularly.

I done this and no improvement so the diagnosis was then chronic hives and told me to take antihistamines daily. This has helped a little but my still not much improvement.

Basically I'm itchy everywhere including genitals and head. I have hives over my face, neck, arms, chest and lower legs.

Feel really tired, have put on weight, have painful shoulder, two knuckles are painful, weak shoulder (sameone that's painful), clickly feeling when I swallow, headaches and often have a foggy feeling (almost like I'm not with it properly).

Doctor has tested me for diabetes and that was fine. Had slight anemia but now I take a multivitamin and still no improvement.

Has anyone come across these symptoms and know what might be causing them? I feel fobbed off from the GP.

CMOTDibbler Sun 05-Feb-17 18:45:12

What does your rash look like?

123bananas Sun 05-Feb-17 18:50:23

Have you had your thyroid checked?

There is a link between chronic idiopathic urticaria and Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid condition).

Friendinneed2016 Sun 05-Feb-17 18:51:56

This is a photo of my arm and hand.

Forgot to add I've had constant low grade fever for the past three/four weeks and irregular periods since September.

Had hives just over a year.

Friendinneed2016 Sun 05-Feb-17 18:53:28

I was tested for my thyroid maybe about 10 years ago as I have family history of I think and was worried! It was all fine.

123bananas Sun 05-Feb-17 18:57:21

Your thyroid's condition can change over time. Worth getting tested again just to rule out.

Could you have been bitten by a tick? Lyme disease presents in funny ways too.

loveyoutothemoon Sun 05-Feb-17 19:03:54

Looks like a drug reaction.

Friendinneed2016 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:06:38

I'll ask about getting tested for both of those. Thanks.

user1486321186 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:06:51

I had to join to answer you. I had a rash for months. So so so itchy, I couldn't cope. Had all sorts of steroid creams, almost every antihistamine going, steroids nothing shifted it. I spent nearly £100 on prescription charges as nothing would work.

I saw a consultant who diagnosed pityriasis lichenoides (it's quite rare). It's caused by an infection (I note you've had a fever) in my case it was a tooth infection and attacks your immunity via your skin. Look it up. A very heavy and long course of antibiotics and I'm like a different person. The rash hasn't entirely gone but so much better.
There are a number of the pityriasis strains so it might not be 'lichenoides' but a variant but worth investigating. I saw 4 GPs but the consultant said they wouldn't have picked it up unless they'd come across it before as its rare.
I thought I'd never stop itching and my life was awful because of it but I'm coming out the other side. I saw the consultant privately but he was worth every single penny.
Of course it might not be this at all but all manner of Google searches by me never came across this so it may be it or maybe not.
Good luck - you have my every sympathy.

Friendinneed2016 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:08:07

Loveyoutothemoon - I had this rash on and off and in different parts of my body for over a year. Only ever taken the occasional paracetamol, ibruprofen and antihistamines.

Friendinneed2016 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:15:40

User1486- thanks I'll have a look and see if this seems like me.

user1486321186 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:39:23

Do at least investigate it with the GP. I could see their reasoning for all they gave me but it just wouldn't work as that's not how it responds. I had every blood test going as youve referenced above. Sometimes they just need to look into treating in diff ways. I note a pp mentioned a drug reaction, many people said the same of me so it could be similar. Get the GP to test your inflammatory markers on blood test. Good luck

Kohi36 Sun 05-Feb-17 19:53:47

Sound like hashimotos to me especially the foggy feeling, hives, itchiness and weight all symptoms. I have hashimotos and they were all symptoms for me. Get a full thyroid panel done, TPO antibodies to see if you have hashimotos. It's genetic in my family too. We've all been diagnosed in past 2 years.

Friendinneed2016 Mon 06-Feb-17 15:10:23

I've just booked a GP appointment and have to wait 3 weeks for another appointment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now