Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"A pinch of dirt" what are your views?

(24 Posts)
emmajlh Tue 27-Feb-07 09:13:57

Hi,

My sister adopts the 'pinch of dirt' philosophy with her 12mth DD. For example, I have often seen bits of banana falling on the floor (where 2 dogs live) and a quick rinse under the tap and given back to DD or letting her play in dirty areas.

My sis believes it will mean she won't develop allergies.

I don't really know where i stand on the issue, so was curious what other MN's thought.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

monkeymonkeymoomoo Tue 27-Feb-07 09:15:21

Oh absolutely, little dirt does 'em some good

My DD ate some mud of our bassets' paws the other day...ewww...

MamaG Tue 27-Feb-07 09:15:44

Weeeel I'm firmly of the view that a bit o' muck never hurt anyone, but I'd chuck banana in bin

My house is probably average-clean

<<sits on fence>>

FioFio Tue 27-Feb-07 09:16:52

Message withdrawn

nicnaksmum Tue 27-Feb-07 09:18:12

If you are never exposed to anything how will you build up immunity to it! All within reason i suppose though. So i agree with the janitor.

Dirt and worms never did me any harm

monkeymonkeymoomoo Tue 27-Feb-07 09:18:23

Oh and I would give the banana if she dropped it at home, the only time I wouldn't is if it had been dropped outside on the pavement or in a public area. Don't forget if they are crawling their hands will be in contact with the floor so what is the difference?!

Miaou Tue 27-Feb-07 09:22:43

Definitely agree. My house is not particularly clean and I never use antibacterial stuff (except for washing my hands after dealing with washable nappies) and my kids are NEVER ill. Dd2 was sick last year for the first time since she was a baby (she is 8). They don't have allergies either, despite dh having asthma and excema. (some of that I think is luck of the draw but I do feel that over-cleanliness can exacerbate symptoms etc).

staceym11 Tue 27-Feb-07 09:42:35

when dd was little i used to live with my mum, 2 dogs numerous cats a parrot etc etc. she used to crawl around the floor, that probably got hoovered about once a week (mum doesnt like housework!) she used to crawl around in gardens etc putting her hands in her mouth. i dont care, its good for her!

we went for a walk in the woods just before xmas and she was plying in the mud while she was out the buggy then when i put her back in she was suckign the mud off!

the last time dd was ill was at 8 month old, shes now 2.4 and that was a urine infection, shes never had a sickness bug and hasnt got any allergies! ds is being treated the same (except now we'r in our own place, so a little cleaner) but a few germs never hurt anyone.

can no one see the correlation between the increase in allergies and the increase in new 'kills 99.9% of germs' rubbish?

puppydavies Tue 27-Feb-07 09:59:26

incidentally the phrase i know is a peck of dirt and a peck turns out to be 16 pints so not a trifling amount

hoolagirl Tue 27-Feb-07 10:48:12

Gosh my DS would have it off the floor and in his mouth before i would have a chance to wash it!

ratclare Tue 27-Feb-07 11:32:02

people who bath their tiny baby every day worry me ,how dirty can it get ,it cant move for goodness sake , fair enough if its got colic and its to help soothe it ,otherwise leave some skin on the poor thing!

Saturn74 Tue 27-Feb-07 11:33:06

I agree with tmmj's post.

Enid Tue 27-Feb-07 11:34:11

i normally think this

however after a horrible sick bug my house now stinks of bleach

DrumMum Tue 27-Feb-07 11:52:33

my DS always has a plate of chips at the clubhouse right after rugby practice.. his hands are absolutely filthy when he starts the chips and his fingers are clean when he finishes [yuck emoticon]
he's fit and well! not like me.. I've got a cold and feeling sorry for myself [sniff]

Bozza Tue 27-Feb-07 11:57:31

I would have just given the banana straight back without washing it at home, but we don't have pets or carpet in the kitchen so fluff-free. I am v. relaxed about it, but it is true that my children do not get many tummy bugs. Yesterday in a shopping centre, I not only bought my DS a pasty and my DD a sausage roll and sat them on a bench to eat it, but when DS dropped a lump off his, I allowed him to pick it up, wipe it off and eat it. DS is 6, the last time he was sick, was when he was 3 and he had chicken pox.

isaidno Tue 27-Feb-07 12:01:23

I often "blow the dirt off" dropped food!

The DC seem to be thriving on this attitude!

LoveMyGirls Tue 27-Feb-07 12:05:48

ratclare - to answer your question i have bathed my kids everyday since they were born. Imo if they have a nappy on its nice for them to have a good wash and also for them to play in the bath with no nappy on obviously, a bit of nappy free time is good for them.

I treat them as i would like to be treated and no way would i like to sit in my own urine and pooh for longer than a day without being properly washed. Also they do get mucky and dribble and sick goes in hair and under the neck its nice to snuggle them after bathtime when they are all clean and smell gorgeous!

On the dirt front yes i believe in them getting mucky it does do them good - but i also like them to be clean before they get inot bed

Lio Tue 27-Feb-07 12:06:36

Probably wouldn't have washed the banana before giving it back

Housemum Tue 27-Feb-07 12:23:55

isaidno - we are the same. Embarassing though when DD at friend's house, drops a sweet, stares at it, blows it and eats it. Can't think where she learned that one...

Housemum Tue 27-Feb-07 12:26:30

...but back to the banana, if she drops anything at the MIL's house, she won't eat it as they have 2 dogs. I presume you meant on a hard floor, not a carpet (gross!). Also, with "squashy food" I'm a little more cautious - maybe I'm wrong but I figure something with a wet surface is more likely to pick up bugs than, say, a raisin.

isaidno Tue 27-Feb-07 16:12:23

Housemum - when we are out i am always trying to stop them eating sweets etc they have dropped "Oh no that's been on the floor - it's dirty!"

It's all an act for the general public of course!

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Tue 27-Feb-07 16:29:09

My DD hopped off her chair in Ikea on Sunday because she spotted a crisp on the floor under the table. She ate it before I could get to her (it wasn't hers).

She is, however, immune to everything having grown up surrounded by dogs, horses and loads of dirt. But she is pretty shameless. She ate a horse treat today - wouldn't spit it out. Remains to be seen if she pukes later (I doubt it)

Mirage Tue 27-Feb-07 19:57:35

My 2 must have had more than their fair share of dirt already & are pretty healthy.I don't use antiseptic wipes & sprays & if something falls on the floor it is fair game.

DD2 in particular will eat anything,between them,they have eaten,bark,coal,paper,grass,leaves,mud,dog biscuits.I even caught dd2 sampling a dried kidney bean from my seed tin a couple of weeks back.They are toxic when uncooked anyway,but this one was also covered in green furry mould.Yuk,but she spat it out & was ok.

I grew up on a farm & we played with horrible things (I once dared my cousin to eat hen poo & she did!)but were rarely ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now