Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diarrhoea in a 6 month old. she seems otherwise well. what if anything should I do?

(9 Posts)
entropy Mon 26-Feb-07 22:27:53

she is happy and otherwise well but OH MY GOD the nappies are horrendous! (and if only it stayed in the nappies...) They all smell rancid. There have been 4 since 11am and the last one was very very watery and soaked straight through the nappy. (thank god it was bath time! it has been getting progressivly worse over the last few days. I have just started weaning again (keep stopping and starting as she was ill with the flu thing then got a tooth and refused to eat for a while) but she has only had baby rice and yogurt, they didn't have this effect last time she had them!

I called NHS direct but they didn't call back as promised so its left me wondering if there is anything I should be doing apart from keeping her tanked up with fluids. should I hold off on solids again?? and at what point should I be thinking about taking her to the Drs?

colditz Mon 26-Feb-07 22:29:41

bet it's anpther tooth. I'd put money on it, actually. If I had any, which I don't.

But, those two first teeth tend to come in close together. Forget the weaning, even if it's her teeth she probably won't want it anyway, just let her drink her milk.

ScottishThistle Mon 26-Feb-07 22:29:58

If she's ill stay away from dairy products & keep giving lots of fluids...I hope she's better soon!

ScottishThistle Mon 26-Feb-07 22:30:53

As Colditz says it may well just be the teething causing terrible nappies!

PrisonerCellBlockAitch Mon 26-Feb-07 22:32:02

sounds like a tooth to me, dd used to get nappy rash after five miliseconds in one of those acid nappies.

entropy Mon 26-Feb-07 23:09:21

thanks folks. I thought I'd seen a line on her gums next to her first tooth this afternoon but DH couldn't see it. and I am registerd blind and he has 20/20 vision, so we decided that I was mad. DD is due at the hospital tomorrow to have her eyes checked. should I call them to see if they will still take her?

bloomin NHS direct still havent called back. They said 1 1/2h from 7pm. good job I'm not too worried! actually I'm more worried about them calling at 2am or something and waking DH!

colditz Mon 26-Feb-07 23:19:24

Just warn them she is teething and not too cooperative.

Let us know!

colditz Mon 26-Feb-07 23:20:24

Just a hint - use a really effective barrier cream on her bum for the next few days, because acidic teething poo can leave their little bums looking scalded within minutes, literally.

entropy Thu 01-Mar-07 09:22:17

still no tooth but her cheeks are scarlet! its gotta be soon....
she was fine on tuesday. happy cooperative for the doctor (a first!) and no poo at all. Then I took her to mother and baby group yesterday and she cleared half the room with a poo that required a full change of clothes (even got her socks!!!) luckily I know her and had a full change of clothes, as it is a long walk home and was very very cold yesterday she was out of sorts again yesterday. got another visual assesment thing today so I'm hoping for another day like tuesday.

I'm using metanium on her bum, which seems to be working. she just gets a little red bit in the middle if I don't use it but better safe than sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now