Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Broken ankle - poor bone density?

(6 Posts)
flutterby77 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:21:05

I started to experience pain about a month ago but GP and physio reassured me it was a tendon injury as I was able to walk on it and we've been treating it like that. Fast forward 4 weeks and I went for an ultrasound to check on the tendons only to be told I have a break in my fibula. I have no recollection of doing anything which could break my ankle. I've also been walking on it (albeit hobbling) for a month. I've now been referred to the fracture clinic for review as it has started healing so we're not sure if the best course of action. I've also been referred for a dexa scan to understand why my ankle fractured without any trauma. I was on fairly long courses of prednisolone when I was younger due to ulcerative colitis. I had a dexa about 12 years ago because of that risk which was fine. I've also had two pregnancies, one a twin pregnancy when I took ostelin due to low vitamin d levels. I'm now nearly 40, is it possible I have osteoporosis to the extent I can fracture a bone like this. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Photo of fracture attached.

PacificDogwod Fri 03-Feb-17 21:25:24

Yes, it is possible.

Undisplayed fibula fractures often get away with being treated as a soft tissue injury (disclaimer: I am not an expert. Glad to see you have a fracture clinic appointment lined up).

You may have simply gone over your ankle and done this.

I think it would be wise to repeat your DEXA scan.

PacificDogwod Fri 03-Feb-17 21:25:40

Oh, and you posted this twice btw smile

flutterby77 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:32:25

Not sure how that happened! Thanks for the reply. I've seen two different GPs and a physio and not one of them told me it could be a break. The GP told me to treat it with normal overcthe counter nurofen. In a way it's good it's a break as I was getting very depressed that the tendon injury was not improving. At least this will heal.

PacificDogwod Fri 03-Feb-17 21:37:29

Yes, bad sprains and simple breaks can 'look' clinically very similar.

And you are right, a simple break often heals quicker than a bad sprain.

Bettertobehealthy Mon 06-Feb-17 18:55:16

Hi flutterby

you are of course right , that low Vit d can prompt secondary hyperparathyroidism, which could lead to weak bones in the long term.

from what you have said , ( previous low Vit d ) it makes a great deal of sense for you to check .

In the first instance , perhaps you could have a look at this thread

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_health/2377129-Quick-Self-Check-for-Vitamin-D-deficiency

You can get a quick , paid for Vit D check from here , It is the NHS path lab at Sandwell , City Hospital. Results emailed back to you within a week. It does cost £28 unfortunately. Maybe your doc. will order a free one for you , sometimes they are reluctant , because so many people come back low.

www.vitamindtest.org.uk/

best of luck.

BTBH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now