Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calluses on ball of foot

(14 Posts)
liverpoolnana Fri 03-Feb-17 17:22:16

I know this is a minor problem, compared with what some people have to go through, but as the pain is affecting my life quite a bit, I wanted to ask for advice. I do a lot of walking, and am overweight, so develop calluses on the balls of both feet. I have tried most things, including padded insoles and a Scholl electronic foot file, but they build up so quickly.
Has anyone any advice on what they've found worked so I can 'start again' and once I'm clear of them prevent them forming? I have tried footners and a chiropodist. as well. What I am hoping for is some kind of cream to soften and strip them off. I have even thought of trying verruca treatment, I am that desperate.

hollinhurst84 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:12:27

There used to be a cream for hard skin... Let me google. Urea cream might help keep the skin softer

hollinhurst84 Fri 03-Feb-17 21:14:27

Here
http://www.superdrug.com/Scholl/Scholl-Hard-skin-softening-cream-60ml/p/473253

The other one was called scholl rough skin remover cream but I can only see it on eBay

hollyisalovelyname Fri 03-Feb-17 21:16:20

Eucerin do a 10% urea Foot cream but it's not a miracle worker.
Newtons chiropody sponge is very good.

PickAChew Fri 03-Feb-17 21:23:11

I can sympathise - they are painful and mine sometimes make my limp worse. I try to keep on top of them with footner and flexitol, in between. The worse is a tiny corn I get on the ball of my foot behind one of my little toes, sometimes and that fucker feels like I've permanently got a stone in my shoe. I'm constantly hacking at it when i get it. I managed to get rid of it, last Spring and it stayed away through the summer - mostly wearing ultra supportive trainers, instead of boots helped, I think. Amazingly, it's not come back in its full form, this winter, just have no more than a calloused patch there, but I'm trying not to wear the same boots day in, day out, which might help.

PickAChew Fri 03-Feb-17 21:25:07

I did resort to verruca remover on that corn, too. It needed something to get right in there and soften it!

liverpoolnana Sat 04-Feb-17 09:15:50

Thank you for all the tips. I think I will have to go to the pharmacist and ask advice. It's just that I thought someone might have tried something that definitely worked in the radical way I am hoping for, rather than long-term softening, and I'd rather get it online than traipse to the shops. The frustrating thing is I remember using a cream in a little flat tin that someone recommended years ago, and it was brilliant. It was called something like 'Potters' and had to be asked for - that is to say, it wasn't on the shelves because diabetics couldn't use it (I'm not diabetic).

Narnian Sat 04-Feb-17 09:17:58

That tin of Potter's is available on Amazon, I ordered some last week. They'll email you with the necessary health questions before it's sent.

Narnian Sat 04-Feb-17 09:20:35

It's called Pickles Ointment blush.

Wolpertinger Sat 04-Feb-17 09:21:43

Flexitol heel balm - you need 25% urea for it to be a miracle worker smile

Whisky2014 Sat 04-Feb-17 09:26:48

I have same problem! Im just going through a new routine of using my scholl wet and dry skin remover thing plus using foot cream. So far it is a bit better. Oh and putting elizabeth arden 8 hour cream on my foot and putting a sock on it overnight

liverpoolnana Sat 04-Feb-17 16:59:50

Thank you so much, Narnia! That's exactly the stuff. I've just ordered some from Ebay so I am a very happy (and grateful) nana.

liverpoolnana Sat 04-Feb-17 20:14:00

Sorry for getting your name wrong, Narnian. And thanks again.

Narnian Sat 04-Feb-17 21:36:19

Pleasure, liverpoolnana. Always happy to help a fellow Scouser wink!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now