Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone get visual migraine around ovulation time?

(7 Posts)
mumznet Fri 03-Feb-17 15:54:02

it happened to me the second time and lasts for about 15-20 minutes...my vision goes all blury and I lie down and close my eyes waiting for it to pass.

normally I've never had migraines but second time experienced this episode. noticed its my Ovulation time so does anyone get this? what can i do to prevent it?
thanks

elfonshelf Sat 04-Feb-17 21:48:41

Yes, it's due to a drop in oestrogen levels. The only thing that stops it is to take the contraceptive pill with no break between packs - except that if you have migraine with aura, you can't take it and so you are stuck with the blooming migraine.

Happily zomig works wonders for me, but it is a total pita otherwise.

JayneW63 Sun 05-Feb-17 14:58:15

I could plot my migraines on a calendar for years until I had my first baby. Then they stopped, hormones play havoc.
However I found if I could preempt an attack with pain killers I could reduce the severity down from three days in bed to half a day in the dark, took a few months but things did improve.

BestIsWest Sun 05-Feb-17 15:02:19

Yes, used to get them regularly.

I had one last week for the first time in 25 years.

mumznet Sun 05-Feb-17 15:55:52

it was so terrible and I don't get any headaches so I don't know when it could happen. but because this time it happened around ovulation i started to think there is a link.

Snugglepalace Mon 06-Feb-17 12:12:45

I get them occasionally but it's always on the third day of my period.

FourKidsNotCrazyYet Sun 26-Feb-17 22:49:00

I get this too. I used to worry so much about it. Like a lightening strike going across your line of vision? Mine started during my third pregnancy. Occasionally making me vomit too. Nowadays it's only every six months or so, but definitely hormonal. It's reassuring to know it's 'normal' but awful!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now